Hot spots

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by smokey, Feb 19, 2009.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Doc, my rott gets hot spots every winter this year she has them really bad.She looks like a Rott with a poodle haircut.And its bad for her rep.
    I have been treating her with "hot spot" that seems to give her relife for 5 hrs or so, but then starts to dig herself again.Is there anything I can use that will relive the itch as well as heal her. thankx.
    smokey

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Smoke, do you keep her in a dog house with straw? Ive seen some allergic to it and had to switch to some other kind of bedding material.

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ummm? err? well she sleeps in bed with us.:embarassed:
    smokey

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Srry Joe didn't see your post till this pm.

Common problem Joe. If you Google Dog Hotspots you get over 16 million places to check. I am gonna give the first one on the list I saw.......

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hotspots.html

Look it over.

I see a problem here though Joe, over and above the stuff you read on it. You have a Rott. Joe. Uncommon for them to have hotspots unless from some physical thing like anal gland infections, or hip dysplasia or wounds. They can be allergic to something in the house that is different in the winter than in the summer. Fleas, household chemicals etc. can be the primary cause with the house also drying out because of winter heat. read that junk I linked ya too.

And oh Joe. Persistent moisture that isn't dried on the dogs skin can cause a hotspot. If the dog is sleeping with you Joe, are ya sure you are wearing your depends to keep that bed dry? LOL. Just teasing ya Joe.

Later, John.

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I had one that developed hot spots, I took it to the vet and he gave a shot of something and it went away, I think it happened again, but then he quit getting em.