Hot plate for melting lead

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Rivercat2, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I was wanting to know if a electric hot plate would melt lead. I am using a propane stove right now and would like to go to somthing electric, but dont want to spend the money for a melting pot.

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Yep. I've melted lead on a kitchen stove, so a hot plate should be the same thing as far as heat goes.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Yes sir I got the cheepest one walmart had to melt my wheel weights and it gets plenty hot enough.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    What is a "hot plate?" & how much would one cost? Just curious, as I'm not familiar with it.

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Lead has a reletively low melting point (620*F) so I wouldnt be surprised at all if a hot plate could melt it. I know some of those things will get really hot, and some really quickly too. Good luck with the melting!

6. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Hot plate is like one of those things on top of the oven, but its only one and its got a cord you plug in the wall.

7. Riverdog

Riverdog New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A Hot Plate has worked for me over 20 years, you can move it where ever you want or need it.

8. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    Thanks Guys for all your help.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    turtle I paid about $9 at wall mart

10. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I bought one at a carport sale. It didn't do the job I wanted. but great for keeping the molds hot while using several.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heres proof. be careful i triped over the cord and almost got burned by 6lb of lead.

i made 96 2lb ingots pretty quick in a couple sessions. saved $ on gas too big time. took longer but saving $ is what im about.:cool:

and this is the cheepy kscathunter was talking about. $9 from the smiley face place.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ill be doing a lot of pouring very soon.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used a hot plate for melting lead for 10-15 years, and it worked very well. Just be aware that you may occasionally spill some lead on it. My hotplate had a ceramic top with a coil of wire set in it that got red hot. Hot lead would cause the wire to burn in two, but I would simply stick the two pieces back together (with the hotplate unplugged), and be right back in business. After burning the wire in two half a dozen times or so, I was forced to replace the wire. It was simply a matter of buying a new wire at the hardware store for a couple or three dollars, removing two screws to take out the old wire, laying the new wire in place, and replacing the screws.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The Wife came across this hot plate for me to melt wheel weights. I was using to much propane in my fish fryer. I have not used it yet,hope to give a try today.

15. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Like the others have said they work well for lead.Mine also came from wally world;) Last warm day we had I did about 20 ingots in about an hour:)

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    John, understand the money issues... BUT if you take your time and shop wisely, you can get the Lee Production Pot IV for less than half price on e-bay..BRAND NEW. Just look at the current bid price and shipping/handling charges. You can get some excellent buys there, but you can loose money also if your not aware of the local price...sometimes those shipping charges are flat outrageous. Can't blame the seller - he is there to make money, so the monkey comes back on the buyers price. He has to be aware of what he is doing.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i always make my ingots first to keep my lee pot clean but i will tell ya they are great. i got my lee at gander mnt for $50. last night i went home and had to pour some. trading some to a member for a vaccum sealer. i poured 200+ sinkers in a couple hrs. ya cant beat them for being safer than hand pouring and they crank em out. ebay can be a good place to get a used one cheeper.

just watch out. if ya get one for $30 and s/h is $19.95 your paying full price and just not realizing it and getting used equip.

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I also make ingots to keep my pot clean. I use the mini-Muffin Pan. The ingots are just the correct size for the pot.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When I first got started (this year) in making sinkers, I saw a melter on ebay. It was less than half price, so I got it...even with shipping/handling it was like $28.00... when it arrived, it was just a melter..didn't have the nozzle to pour lead. Tried it out anyhow, and boy, did it get hot quickly and melt the lead. So, I went back out on e-bay and did a search for the production pot iv...put all of them on the watch list and then just as they were about to expire, decided if I wanted to bid or not...again, got the brand new pot with postage for less than full price. Think they sale for like $64.00 or higher, depending upon the merchant. Still got my side burner off the BBQ grill that I can use also. Still hate it that the local tire shops won't give/sell tire weights. Get my lead off e-bay also... just got 50 lbs for $28.50. Not to happy with it, but I can live with it... whats the alternative...bolts and nuts. lol

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Lawrence, I had the same problem, I managed to get one of our brothers buy some wheel weights from a tire shop in his home town. He brings me a 5 gal. bucket of weights most time that he comes to fish with me. They cost me $25.00 a bucket. Maybe you can find some one to help you out as I did.