hot pepper

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Scott Daw, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    What kind of pepper is used to make crushed red pepper that you use on pizza?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Scott, I think the most common is cayenne. But any pepper can be used that way.

I had a TexMex supervisor years ago that introduced me to dried anaheim peppers, and one of the ways he used them was crushed.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im looking to make my own crushed pepper for pizza topping but I dont get any flavor anymore unless I pile it on. What would all y'all recommend to try to dry to kick up my pizza? Or is it normal not to have any flavor with dried peppers just heat?

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Make some chipotles and dry 'em and grind 'em.

:004:

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Scott i beleive those peppers are called red peppers i could be wrong but im pretty sure.

6. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I grew my own cayenne peppers and dried them. About a year later i crushed them and that's what i put on my pizza. No taste just heat.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    cayenne i think :tounge_out:

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    With so many hot peppers being "red" can ya narrow that down Please or is there actually a red pepper called red pepper?

9. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i use red pepper on my pizza and usually top it with a little tobasco.another thing i do is put a little daves insanity on the side and dip my pizza in it.easy on the daves insanity though cause you dont need much.lol.hot!

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Scott, I thought crushed red pepper was made from dried cayenne peppers, and maybe it is in some cases. I KNOW you can use ground red pepper/ground cayenne pepper interchangeably. However, according to this source: http://www.apinchof.com/crushred1048.html
    crushed red pepper is often made from ancho chilies. As far as the flavor thing goes, I don't know what to tell you there......I agree with CoonX about the chipotles, ground and sprinkled on pizza, they would add a smoky taste. You could probably dry any kind of peppers all the way up to habaneros, crush 'em, and use 'em this way......but I doubt you're gonna get much pepper flavor, mostly just heat.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My bottle just says crushed red peppers. On the bottle it shows what appears to be a red chili pepper. I use this stuff alot like you on pizzas. If your looking for some extra flavor , you can add some sliced jalepeno and cook them on your pizza. I do this and add some of the crushed red pepper flakes. It adds some kick!!!

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    all crushed red pepper i have seen was made from cayanne. dry them well and put in a food processor with the cutting blade. that will make em just like pizza huts.:wink:

i have a huge bush dried out now. just need to chop it.