Hot Pepper Sauce Recipe

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by festus, Sep 27, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Ingredients:

4 cups red tabasco peppers (or your pepper of choice)
    1-1/3 cup white vinegar
    2/3 cup water
    1 TBSP + 1 TSP finely chopped garlic
    1 TBSP + 1 TSP sea salt or non-iodized table sauce

Combine ingrdients in stainless steel pot and simmer over medium heat until very soft, stirring occasionally. Remove and mash with a potato masher. Press through sieve to discard seeds and skins. If this is too thick, add vinegar and salt to consistency.

Can in sterilized jars (I use 4 oz jelly jars) in hot water bath for 35 minutes. Seal and store in a dark place for three months. After opening, store in refrigerator.

As I mentioned, practically any pepper is ok, I have also used cayenne and jalapeno

2. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    Thanks Ill give it a try got plenty Tabasco peppers

3. festus

festus New Member

It's well worth it. The only drawback is this pepper sauce will separate, but all you have to do is shake it to get the color back.

I grew so many tabascos in 2008 I didn't have to this year. Pickled some of them whole and made a few jars of hot sauce. I've never attempted to make hot pepper jelly, but I sure like it. Jalapenos are probably best for that.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad you posted. I was searching all the recipe webs just a few weeks ago for just such a recipe. I know someone here has posted one before,But I cant seem to find it. I had about 5 lbs of red jalapenos given to me ,I finally chunked em in the trash,I couldn't eat em before they went bad,And I didn't want to pickle em,not real fond of jalapenos pickled.The recipes I did find all had to have an enormous amount of TOMATOS ,Which I didn't have.:wink:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  5. festus

festus New Member

I don't care much about pickled red Jalapenos, but I sure like the green Jalapenos pickled. Usually I'll slice some to pickle, dice some and deseed to pickle, then pickle some whole. Ain't all that fond of chipotle, which is I understand is roasted and peeled red Jalapenos which have been smoked.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    rich. i eat a jar of pickeled jalapenos a week. seriously.

i got 2 5lb 13 oz cans a while back. ate them inside a month.:crazy:

that last post i made in diner. theres a jar sitting on the stove by my roasts.:big_smile:

i got a bush now full of red and green tobasco peppers. might try this. may add a ghost pepper to the pot. have a few dozen of these.