hot horseradish??

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Mar 14, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey guys. a few months back my buddie went to michigan snowmobiling. he brought some horseradish back from a little bar up there and i mean this stuff if ya eat it raw in a pretzel will take your breath away. you cant breath in or it will choke ya up,lol. but 20 seconds its gone.

i had never tried horseradish untill i was tipsy and tried his. well i love hot foods peppers salsa and stuff. and i went to the deer and turkey show and there was a vendor called son-in-laws and he had some xxx flaming hot horseradish. its not as bad as the michigan stuff but none the less its fire hot in 3 seconds and gone in 20.

i just cooked up some boneless loin pork chops and spread some on before cooking them. i am getting ready to try it. i fella at the legion told me its good spread on beef roasts before baking.

im wondering if any of you fellas grow it. or know where i can get a start of some real hot stuff. i kind of like it and want to do some more expermenting with it other than on pretzels.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ya should be able to get starters around there in Bloomington? My uncle and grandpa made their own for years, I am not sure but I think that you get the heat from how you cure your radish not so much as a certain root is hotter than another, just stating this because pops grew the same every year but some of the fellas they made it for would ask for less hot or more hot???? It was the best in a big ol' bowl of Ham and beans! or the Sunday beef or Pork roast :wink:. I have a small patch left from back then but really do nothing with it, cept let the fella down the road stop and get what he wants every year

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya a fella was at the legion post here the night i got this and he was from around bloomington. said his pop was 89 or something, and still grew it. he told me he would drop some off next time he was through for me to try. the stuff is pretty good. 33 and just tried it. i was picky when i was a kid,lol.

didnt try salad dressing till i was 19, or mayo till i was 18, still wont eat a pickle or mustard but ill eat a pickled habenaro pepper from the jar,???????? go figure. ill have to do a little www searching on the stuff. would like to grw some.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I know if you really want to check it out take the ride down to Collinsville in June every year for the "Worlds biggest" Horseradish party, every way shape form, you could ever want to sample buy smell , LOL. It is a big showing every year I know that.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Jeremy. Illinois is the hores radish capital of the world. More horse radish is grown in collinsville,IL than anywhere else in the world. They say the sandy bottom land around the mississppi river is the perfect place to grow it.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremy,I used to grow it ,but let it all die 15 yrs ago. I made a simple sauce with 1 T vinagar ,2T mayonase and about 1t fresh horseradish ,put it in a blender and let er rip. stays good for about two weeks.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well thats good to know. i guess i wont have trouble getting ahold of some if were the capitol. ill do some searches. i want some good and some real scortching. funny the overwelming feeling of the hot stuff is gone so quick. i like it. unlike the heat from peppers ya got to just wait out for 20 min,lol.:eek:oooh:

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    When I cook a pot roast I always season it up good then coat it with horseradish before I sear it in some olive oil on all sides until it's got some nice color. Then I put another coat on top before going in the oven. Had it last week...awesome...:wink:

It's also awesome on a fried pork chop samich...:big_smile:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    it was darn good on the chops. i want to do my own. and hot hot. $5.50 for a 5 oz is to much to keep on hand. besides i like fresh and doing things myself.

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Jeremy most all grocery store carry horse radish. Try a bottle of it until you find the brand you like. Most of the time it is really cheap.

Try it on a roast beef sammy sometime. Or next time you have a prime rib. Ask for horse radish sauce. It is great.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We have some locals that make all kinds of it that have a booth during our heritage days. They have hot to mild and several diff. flavors. My favorite is raspberry, it's mixed with fresh raspberrys, has a little kick but also the sweeter flavor from the fruit. Great on a ritz cracker and keeps the mother in law from getting too close....

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    mix it wiv ketsup for a good schrimp dip :big_smile: :cool2:

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You gonna grow some this year? Have you tried your own yet with the store bought root??

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Jeremy......I seen some horse radish in the Burpee seed catalog, but haven't tried to grow any. I like to buy the horse radish sauce from the grocery store and mix it with some mustard and some mayo and use it as a dipping sauce for just about anything from fried rabbit to veggies. Good stuff.:crazy:

15. leupy

leupy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only problem with horseradish is that the shelf life is short, you can get a really good and hot relish but in three weeks it is just vinegar and wilted corn cob. If you make your own you can get an extra week or two. It starts to looseits heat as soon as it it ground.

16. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I was younger ( a long time ago ) I lived in phila and there was a guy that came around in a little push cart and you had to have your jar, he would grind it up right there on the street. It was so hot you couldn't smell it without
    taking your breath away...sb

17. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    if you want hotter horseradish harvest the roots in april or august that what the old timers told me and from what i have made its true. if you want to make your peppers hotter water the night beforeharvest for milder let the ground dry out before harvest

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hugh. funny because the fella that got his in mich went home and got it the night i came home with mine feb 22. hes had his since nov. still completly overwhelmes the senses and makes breathing a task for 7-8 seconds and still had texture. and mine is at least 3 weeks old an is fine. refridgerated after opening.

the store might have some thats good and ok but i probably wont be able to get the level i would like to have.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats what im looking for,lol.

and if ya look at the pepper threads you can tell i need not make mine hotter,lol.

im growing
    b-hut jolokia 1,000,000+scovilles guinness new worlds record hottest. mine are 5-6" tall now. 4 plants.
    scotch bonett habenaro
    african fatili
    orange habenaro
    texas chili pequins.:big_smile:

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i did find some processed horseradish at krogers here. its more intense than the stuff i got at the deer show. BEAVERS. extra hot. and it is,lol. i got some dyhydrated root and rehydrated and processed it myself.

i experimented with adding garlic and pepper powder to some. and found a bulb center online and ordered 5 starts for my garden. seems like the heat comes from the damaging the cells. when there cut or crushed it blends a voiltale oil that builds heat through a reaction. but then hitting air it quickly looses it. for milder you should add vinegar soon as its ground or grated. and for hotter it needs time to react. but not to long. the key is finding its peak then add vinegar. that stabalizes the heat and preserves it up to 6 months in fridge.