hot dogs??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by semojoe, Jul 21, 2009.

1. semojoe

semojoe New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What are the best ways to use hot dogs for jug fishing? Is there anything you can do to toughen them up? Will they stay on the hook? What size do you cut them in? Any ideas appreciated

2. apfd82

apfd82 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i would also like to know some tips on this i have been wanting to try this thanks

3. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I have used hotdogs and caught catfish, mostly channels and mostly eater size. Not sure, but I have read that soaking in white vinegar will toughen them up and also attract fish. Havn't tried but it may work.

4. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use Little Smokies, a lot tougher than regular hot dogs, and stay on hook good. Oh, and they work too.

5. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've had some luck with hotdogs, mostley 3 to 5lbs channel cats.
    I've used them right out of the package and I've tried to doctor them up a bit. I've found if you mix a little garlic powder with them they seem to draw a little more attention, but bluegill like em too:wink:

I just started jug fishing a little and what I do is put a split shot about a foot above the hook just to keep the bait down, let them dry in the sun for a little while and cut about 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces, seems to work for me. I'm sure more members could give you better advice on this subject.like I said I've just started jugging about 3 months ago. It gets to be fun trying to chase a jug around.
    Hope this helps?

Welcome to the club

6. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Iv always used smoked sasage. A bit more expensive but worth it.

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
  8. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I buy the cheapest hot dogs I can find, cut them into 1 inch pieces put them in a container with 3 heaping tsp of minced garlic, 2 pkgs of strawberry kool-aid(unsweetened) and just enough water to cover them. I used to let them set in the fridge for 1 to 2 days before using them but now I let them set a week. I have caught plenty of blues on these up to 9lbs.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rog Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I agree with the above post. This will catch you a lot of fish.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

10. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have to ask what dose the kool-aid to attractant?

11. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I believe it is just the coloring myself as it makes them a very dark red. I just know it has always worked for me.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome to the BOC Rog.

13. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    I have frozen the hotdog with the hook in em already its works for me.:big_smile:

14. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    has anyone tried the hotdogs with cheese in them or the chicken or turkey hotdogs:big_smile:
    just wondering if they would do any good.

15. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    like someone else said, i too have used the little smokey's. used them at Lake Anna, in Va on the sandbar. Channels hit them like clock work.

16. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thumbs up on the little smokey's then:wink:
    I'll have to try them, going out tonight to run a small line. (15 hooks)
    in a small channel comming off of a lake.
    Stay tuned for update:roll_eyes:

17. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the Kool-Aid and Garlic powder as well and it works wonders when nothing else will. Sometimes I don't add and water and mix in a zip lock bag and the Kool-Aid has a strong smell along with the garlic. The more smell the better. I have tried the cheese dogs with similar results, as with any bait if the fish are not there it does not matter. Fish it where you know fish will hold, drop points, logs, creek channels and so on. It is one of the cheapest baits you can get.

18. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ran that line Wed. nite nothing on the hotdogs, did get 2 channels about 2 1/2lbs each. 1 on chick. liver w/strawberry banana jello mix.
    the other on 4in bluegill.:0a22: