Hot Dogs with Flavors

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bwhupp, Oct 5, 2008.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Lately, I been finding cats enjoying hot dogs at the power plant lake I fish. I was thinking of trying garlic salted hot dogs and vanilla extra hot dogs. Anyone ever try using vanilla extract? I have had in the past some success with garlic dogs.. but never tried vanilla.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Strawberry works pretty good

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Do you use like strawberry jello mix or koolaid?

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    cut your hot dogs into half inch thick chunks and cover with garlic powder and then cover with 2 pks of unsweetened strawberry koolaid. Stir in really good and then let set over nite. Now go fishing. Good luck.

5. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    Almost sounds like you're trying for a carp recipe.Like it was said above sounds great.I figured I'd add in my two cents.

I've done very little catfishing but much carp fishing.This pertains to what you ask in this respect.On on lake I'll kill with one recipe,while on another it will go nowhere.Long and short of it,try the basics first and if you have two rods them with different bait.Catfish AND carp (carp being my go-to fish) are attracted by smell.In the end all I'm saying is take a little time and find out what works in your area.

I've had great success with vanilla,garlic salt and strawberry on hot dogs by the way.

6. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I soak my shrimp in vanilla extract almost every time I go fishing. I know it works. Soaking it into a hot dog should work too. :big_smile:

7. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I've had decent results by doing the following

cut hot dogs into about 1/2" chunks (get the cheapest hot dogs possible, they have a higher fat content!)

place chunks in a jar and fill with water, just enough to cover the chunks

place one packet of strawberry jello.

let sit for 24-48 hours

Alex

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I cut them up and put them in a gallon zip lock. I have a spray bottle with an anise extract mixture that I spray in the bag. Works good for me.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I shared this receipt with a friend of mine and he had good success with it. Including a 17# channel. He always has this on board.

10. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I know I'm not the one that ask this orginal question but I glad he did. All these receipts sound easy and good. I'm going to try them all. Thanks again.