hot dogs? Will they work for Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by ganndolf, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ganndolf

ganndolf New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i saw a woman and her son fishing with hot dogs the other day. do these things work for blues or are they something city people came up with.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not saying that they will not ever work, but I don't think they are the best available option

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would think a channel cat would be more prone to bite a hot dog. I think the channel cats can be caught on just about anything. I believe blues are a bit more selective. I think your chances of catching blues greatly increase when you use bait that swims in the same water with the blues. I fish in the Mississippi and have never seen or caught any hot dogs in my cast net yet. If I ever do, then I will know it is time to start using them. Good luck.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I talked to a catfisherman at the lake I fish and he showed me a pic of a 40lb blue he said he caught by mixing hot dogs with garlic powder and sugar free red koolaid.

I have yet to have any luck with this recipe but have not given up on it yet.

5. cat mike

cat mike New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I have had alot good luck with hotdogs for blues

6. ganndolf

ganndolf New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what kindof hot dogs

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have seen channel cats caught on Hotdogs mostly at paylakes where the fish are really hungry. If I were going after bluecats.....I would use cut Bluegill heads or fresh cut skip-jacks. I think your % of catching some good ones would go way up.....JMO:cool2:

8. powerman970

powerman970 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have picked up a few blues on red zeigler weiners but mostly I have caught channels on these. I catch most of my blues on either live or cut bait.

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Blues don't like hotdogs unless they come with mustard, relish, and a bun. Seriously..like in an above post. Feed 'em what swims with 'em. I like cut bluegill and shad.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Can you give us more details on type/presentation please.

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    So you reckon if you used that method with sugar added to your kool-aid you may get a 80 lber lol.

12. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I suppose it depends on where you are fishing, but I'd doubt that this is a quality bait in a river, creek, or a real lake. I'd say it's a city person bait, used in city lakes, that are stocked with catfish that have been raised on commercial food. I grew up in the country and never in my life heard of people fishing for catfish with hotdogs.

13. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i have used hot dogs for channels and blues did ok they will also hit bolonia real well its a killer for blues up to 8or 9lbs:sad2:

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well personally I'm like all the other avid catfishermen on here and say live or cut fish BUT read the article below might give you second thoughts.

CHARLES ASHLEY JR.'S WORLD RECORD BLUE​
    Charles Ashley Jr. lives at Marion, just a short drive from the Mississippi River. On Aug. 3, 2001, he was doing what he often does: fishing for catfish in the "Father of Waters" - with two buddies, in this instance. All in the trio were using chunks of Hormel Spam for bait near a wing dike downstream from the Interstate 55 bridge between Memphis and West Memphis.

For half an hour, Ashley and his buddies had no bites. Then, suddenly, Ashley's line started moving off. When he set the hook, he knew immediately that he'd hooked a huge fish, and worried that his medium-weight fishing outfit wasn't going to hold it. The reel was spooled with 20-pound line - and Ashley was sure that this fish was bigger than 20 pounds.

Line and pole held up, though, and after 45 minutes of fighting, Ashley managed to bring the cat to the top. That's when his buddies got excited. The one holding the landing net just laid it back down; he knew that the cat wasn't going to fit.

Ashley finally wore the monster catfish down, pulled it alongside the boat and wrestled it in. Then he and his partners headed for shore. Several hours later, when the fish was weighed on a certified scale, Ashley knew he'd caught an exceptional fish. The humongous cat weighed 116 pounds, 12 ounces.

The next day, I certified Ashley's cat as a new Arkansas rod-and-reel record. A few months later, it was officially recognized as an all-tackle world record.

While Ashley's fish still holds the top spot for blues in the Arkansas record book, it was eclipsed as the all-tackle world record when Cody Mullenix caught a 121-pound, 8-ounce blue from the waters of Lake Texoma in Texas on Jan. 16, 2004.

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know you can't argue with the facts, but I do know I had one of those days when I caught from the bank a #48, #45, and 2 or 3 #20-25 and nothing less than #10 all day and I do not doubt that I probably could have caught a nice blue that day with a hot dog. But day in and day out there is nothing better than a blood squirting skip jack.

16. cat mike

cat mike New Member

State:
    nebraska
    the lake I have used hotdogs in is about 56,000 acres, The only problem I have found is I have yet to catch any blues ove 40lbs, but I have caught alot in the 20s and 30s.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I trotlined a lot, I tried using hot dogs and had absolutely no success whatsoever with blues or channels. the hot dogs were plain, and had not been treated with garlic, kool aid, or anything else; treating them may have made a difference....or not, can't tell. I'd much rather use fresh cut shad or skipjack, but if those aren't available, I'll go to cured chicken livers, salt pork, bacon, or even chitlings with flavor such as garlic, anise, shrimp, etc. added.

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :smile2:There's gotta be a good joke in there somewhere....

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...i saw a woman and her son fishing with hot dogs the other day. do these things work for blues or are they something city people came up with...."

I caught a blue catfish on a bucktail the other day while striper fishing. Would I suggest you fish with bucktails all the time for catfish? Of course not.

My point is that at any given time a catfish, bass, perch, or bream may eat something other than traditional baits, but that does not make them good baits for consistent fishing.

Trust me; there are not secret baits out there folks.

20. kodys'papa

kodys'papa New Member

State:
    texas
    we use them all the time in the winter on our juglines- we use the mixed meat (red) kind- cheaper the better at tawakoni