Hot Dogs? What type do you use for Channel Catfish?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I've heard of people using hot dogs for bait for channel cats. Is there special kind of hot dog, bratwurst or sausage that is great for cats?

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Blue Cats will go for hot dog too i always get the cheapest I can find

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ryang will be here soon to answer all on this for you!!!:roll_eyes::wink::smile2: rollo

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You suck sooooo bad LOL, however that being said I use cheap ones that have sat around till they mold up LOL. The cheese filled ones also work. Your probably not going to catch big ones but squeelers go for them all the time.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try cutting the hot dogs into the lengths you are going to use, place into a zip lock bag and cover with garlic. Let soak for a day or so and go catch some cats.

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm sure any bait that has a strong scent will bring channels around just because of the tastebuds throughout their whole body :wink:

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i usually use cheese hotdogs, strawberry koolaid, garlic powder, let it sit over night or two nights, now normally for channels i use this during those long drawn summer months

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    As said before..the cheapest hot dogs you can find work the best..I have always used them for Juggin but never on straitline but some of the brothers claim the work well on RR too..going to try this year.. Last year I cut up one pack and put them in Manhanden Oil (fish oil) and let them soak for a couple days and the other pack I kept in the fridge..after fishing all day we caught one more fish on the ones packed in fish oil than we did straight out of the bag so I could see no difference..largest fish we got on hot dogs so far has been 24 pounds. We got several in the 5 to 10 pound range..mostly all blues but we did have two jugs that went down in the main channel that did not come back up..some brothers think they got stuck on something floating but I think there are two large fish out there pulling around a 2' noodle and 4' of line!..if you happen to be on the Missouri River and see one of my jugs doing the jaws thing let me know!

9. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have nt used hot dog s , but i have bacon, ( well my son was ) he got a 2 lbs yellow belly. he was 9 and was fishing for bluegill on a ultera light. so it was good for him :wink: im thinking of trying hot dogs :eek:oooh:

10. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I have used hot dogs a couple of times and caught a couple cats with them. I used the cheap ones. Plus if you get hungry you got something to snack on.:wink::smile2::smile2:

11. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive used the garlic powder and salt like mickey said before with good results for fryers. Makes'em smell good enough to eat too,lol. Cheapest seem to work the best, turtles'll hit'em too, wifes cousin caught one of the biggest soft shells i've ever seen on an Aldi's cheese dog. Speakin of garlic i use garlic powder/salt in alot of my chicken liver now too, guess cats are scared of vampires or something cause they seem to like garlic! and onion works about as good too.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I trotlined a lot, I tried hotdogs with absolutely no success. To test them, I baited 4 hooks or so with shad, then a hook with hotdog; shad caught fish, but hotdogs didn't. That seemed a fair test to me, since I left the hotdogs on the hook till they were covered with fur (mold?). One good(?) thing was that the turtles wouldn't eat them either, and this was where the turtles would wear me out, eating the shad off the line so quickly. I'd have to rebait twice before the turtles got full and I could start catching catfish. These hotdogs were used just as they came from the package. I definitely believe that adding scents will make unattractive baits much more attractive, though. Incidentally, I've used both bacon and salt pork with fairly good success as a backup bait. (A backup bait is what you use when you can't get fresh shad or skipjack, which are by far the best bait to use on the Arkansas River.)

13. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I've had pretty good luck using hot dogs on jugs. I cut them into 1 inch pieces put them in a ziplock bag with 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 2 packs of unsweetened strawberry kool-aid and just enough water to cover them. Let them set at least overnite then go fishing.

14. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have had good luck with hotdogs..but one thing I forgot..dont forget the mustard..if they aint hitting them you can eat what you dont cut up.. A few years ago I was fishing with my jugs nothing but shad and I met with a guy that fished nothing but hot dogs in the same part of the river..he was coming up to fish the area over as I was going down..my biggest fish was about 5 pounds with the shad and he had twice the fish with two over 10 pounds..I tried to put shad on one and hotdogs on the other and they performed about the same for me at the end of the day.

15. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    I cut up my hotdogs in 1'' peices and boil them in water with red food coloring then put them in ziplock bags with garlic powder and garlic salt:smile2:

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's a proven fact that a hook with a prepared hot dog on it will catch more fish than a hook with nothing on it. :wink:

17. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Bar S with anise extract. Biggest on weenies was 17lbs... blue... not hotdog :wink:

18. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I find the cheapest ones I can get. Get the ones with the most fat, cholesterol, sodium etc. You know, "The ones that are the worst for you". They seem to work the best.

I caught a 8lb bass on a jugline with one:smile2:

19. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I caught a nice 10-15 lb chanel on jennyo turkey dogs 1.69 a pack.:smile2:

the next day I caught a 5-10 lber on foodlion turkey dogs 1.39 a pack
    same place.
    I guess you get what you pay for :embarassed:

anyway, my pup and I ate the bait we didn't use!
    GLAD we wern't icefishing with maggots!!!!:crazy:

20. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I bought 2 packs of bar s turkey/pork/beef hotdogs at walmart yesterday for 88 cents a pack. Now that's cheap bait! Tight lines.

:cool2: