Hot Dogs is it any good for catfish.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chambers bd, Jul 28, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I have never done this, but was told that cat fish will eat a hotdog faster than about anything out there!

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i have used hot dogs with good results at times i usually have liver hot dogs and commercial bait with me i just try it all till i find what they like

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    had a niehgbor down home that used hot dogs but he cut them into 1 inch chunks and soaked them in a coffee can with catfish attractent, garlic, and red food coloring for a few days . he did well mostly 1 to 10 lbers tho .

might give that a try, to make them soak up better and faster i think using a cheap wal mart vacum packer would do the trick , just like maranating meat.

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i was a non believer. i am now a believer. we went to texoma and could not catch shad the first afternoon we were there. i was told not to worry that we had bait. i thought the guys were kidding when they brought out the hot dogs. that nite we caught 12 bluecats from 3 to 12 lbs. i now carry a pack of weiners in the freezer for a backup. i have not tried them on rod and reel. that will come in sept. when it cools off and i can test them properly.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yep lots of people use hot dogs they work great for channels here on the colorado river and the canals. They have lots of oil to release. Another one is fried chicken skins.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Channels will down them quick. Cheap bait also. I use the multi meat variety. All beef dont work that well.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    channels love them also i have caught turtles especially snapper and also carp will hit them as well rick in the great miami and mad river as well :smile2:

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Never had the carp hit them, maybe I should try the Tofu ones. :tounge_out::eek:oooh:

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    It seems the cheapest ones work the best. Can't beat that.

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I can't afford to use hot dogs as bait... the kids are hungrier than the fish!

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well I've used Hot Dogs with some success but did better with a strip of thick bacon wrapped around a treble hook, mainly because the Bream have a tough time stealing it. They will rob you of a hot dog pretty quick.

Also according to local legend a 112lb. Blue Cat was caught below the Mississippi River bridge in West Memphis on a chunk of SPAM. They say stores were sold out of SPAM for months after that.

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I knew there had to be a use for that stuff!!

13. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    LOTS of guys use them exclusively on trot lines and jug lines, so, as long as you can keep them from flying off when you cast them, they do work :wink:.

Never out of season either!

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    ozzy it was good for carp of your use small pieces you figured if they are the chicken and pork hot bogs they use the chicken guts almost the same smell as chicken liver probably why the carp hit it rick

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never had any luck with hot dogs, myself. Maybe I just didn't put the right juju on them.

Bacon stays on the hook pretty well, but if you do have trouble keeping it on, try using salt pork. Works just as well, and stays on the hook extremely well.

And it wasn't a 112# catfish caught on Spam, it was a 116# 12-ounce blue cat! Here's an article that was in one of the Arkansas newspapers:

"Spam the bait for 116-pound catfish

By Joe Mosby, Log Cabin Staff Writer

Sunday, August 12, 2001

Once you get past the topic of Spam for fishing bait, the feat of Charles Ashley and his potential world record blue catfish is even more attention getting.

Ashley, a resident of Marion in Crittenden County, caught a blue catfish weighing 116 pounds, 12 ounces on the Mississippi River a few days ago. His hook was baited with Spam.

Ashley was working with a brand new Quantum rod and reel, just purchased at Wal-Mart in West Memphis. "That was the first time I had used the outfit, and this was the first fish I caught on it," he said.

The big catfish was taken about 200 yards below the Interstate 55 bridge at Memphis but on the Arkansas side. Formally, it's the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge or the downstream of the two major highway bridges across the river between Memphis and West Memphis.

Ashley, 24, was fishing with brother-in-law Bobby Price of Southaven, Miss., and long-time friend Mike Mitchell of Slidell, La. All were working with Spam.

Ashley said, "We've used Spam a long time for catfish. It's our favorite bait. My daddy used it and my granddaddy too." He mentioned his 5-year-old son Patrick is already an avid fisherman and, predictably, a Spam enthusiast.

The site of the catch was just off a rock dike. Ashley said the three had their 14-foot flatbottom aluminum boat tied and had fished about 30 minutes without a nibble. Then Ashley's line began moving off. He waited patiently. He's an experience catfisherman. Then he set the single-barbed hook.

"I knew it was a good fish after I set the hook," he said. "The biggest catfish I had caught was about 20 pounds, and I thought this one would be that big."

A 45-minute battle took place, with the big fish swimming away and Ashley slowly cranking it back. His reel was spooled with 20-pound test line. He said, "The fish just pulled away from us. It never did go down deep. But every time it decided to move off, it peeled the drag (took line off the reel)."

One of his companions stood ready with a dip net, but Ashley said, "When we finally got the fish to roll up at the surface, we forgot about the dip net. No way would its head go into the net."

Instead, when the fish was finally exhausted, Ashley put down his rod and wrestled the fish over the side and into the boat.

"We looked at it a minute then we cranked up and took it across the river to where I work," he said. He works for a Memphis firm that provides fuel and supplies for river boats. "Then we brought the fish back, took it to the fish market and called the Game and Fish people."

Kirk Harris, wildlife officer with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, witnessed the weighing of the huge catfish on certified scales at Wade-n-Pop's Fish Market. AGFC fisheries research biologist Tim Burnley, stationed at Brinkley, came over to officially identify the species of the fish. It measured 62 inches long and 38 1/2 inches in girth,

Ashley is a lifelong resident of Marion and is well familiar with the Mississippi River. He grew up fishing it and now works on it.

"I've got the catfish in a freezer at a friend's house," he said. "I'd like to have a mount made and hang it in my living room." Along with young Patrick, the Ashley family includes wife Anita and daughter Brianna, 6 months old.

He detailed his method of fishing with Spam. "We just cut it in chunks and run one of them on a single hook, not a treble hook. It's a good catfish bait."

If his catfish is certified as a world record, it will give Arkansas four world fishing marks. The others are brown trout, walleye and hybrid bass.

The previous Arkansas blue catfish record was 96 pounds, a fish caught in 1995, also on the Mississippi River but downstream from West Memphis. Existing world record is 111 pounds, taken a few years ago on Joe Wheeler Lake in Alabama. That's part of the Tennessee River system."

16. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    well i have used hot dogs several times with poor results nothing but turtles for me and someone once told me to use them for chum so i did and the next thing i know is i am surrounded by turtles..:crazy::angry:..but hey it could very well work good in your waters..good luck to ya brother..

17. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hot dogs do work. sometimes a little too well, because many fish will eat it. blue gill are notorious, at least where ive fished for stealling hotdog bait. ive also caught carp on it. but the big problem with hot dogs is turtles

18. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Let's not be wasting the fried chicken skins now.:crazy::smile2:

19. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Went to Hawaii with work Jan of 07 and found that those people love Spam. Some eat it almost everyday. They have a real good breakfast that has Spam as it's main ingredient. Really good. Can't get Catfish to let me bring it in the house though.:embarassed::sad2:

20. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Just so you know I had the lady that worked at a local marina tell me I was just plain dumb for buying worms from her when her husband uses fried chicke skins and catches lots of catfish. I attempted to explain the worms were for the bluegill......... I gave up. I'm a great customer though! I bought the worms even though the proprieter called me "just plain dumb"