Hot Dogs for Catfishing during daytime?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bossofbeefbowl, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    The place I work at closed a couple weeks ago and I'm on unemployment.I've found myself looking for cheap bait and I've heard some people use hot dogs.I can only fish during the day,mostly noon-7pm or so.I prefer not to catch bluegill and use them as bait.Funny how I don't mind using a hot dog but I don't like killing the fish myself.More of a C&R guy myself.Anyway,ever have any luck using hot dogs for catfish and if so what size and hook etc?

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    First off - welcome to the BOC! As far as using hot dogs - I have had some luck using red skinned hot dogs. I use a two inch chunk on a medium sized circle hook. Good luck with the weinners:wink:

3. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Hotdogs are great as bait, I prefer to use ones with skin and soak them in vinegar overnight:big_smile:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Try hotdogs soaked in red kool-aid and garlic salt after cutting up into bait sized chunks. I haven't tried it but others on here say that it works. Use them day or night.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hot dogs can work for bait. I talked to a fisherman this summer that uses them. He cuts them in about 1" chunks and puts them in a bowl and covers them with garlic powder then with red unsweetened koolaid (two packs) and mixes it real good then lets it all soak in over nite. He showed me a pic of a 40# blue he caught on it.

As far as catching during the day.... I have heard of catches during the day but cats, I believe, are most active at night. Cats are active at first light moving back from the shallows from feeding back to the deeper holes and away from light. In the evening they move into the shallows to feed on small baitfish and crustations and anything else they have been attracted to.

Catfish are predatory fish and are oportunistic feeders and will eat anything they feel is edible and that appeals to their taste buds. The catfishes skin is covered with hundreds of thousands of tastebuds and they can taste anything up to twenty feet away without putting it in their mouths. This is why stink bait works well for cats most of the time. Stink bait has a strong smell and taste and the fish can find it easily.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think half chewed up hotdogs are the best! Just bite light on them allowing your spit to adsorb in them, and even let the dog give a lick or two! You will have a better hookup rate that way..:wink: rollo:smile2:

7. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I figured trying letting them sitting out in the sun and giving small cuts would release more juices.Good ideas so far.