Hot dogs for Bait, or all about your leftover Forth of July hot dogs.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Netmanjack, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is in rebuttal to a thread in the Ohio River section concerning hot dogs for Flathead catfish bait and is to serve as an explanation to many questions regarding the common Hot dog.:cool2:

Time out! Time OUT! Why does it always fall to me to straighten you guys out? As usual you all have it half right, but don't know the facts. First off, three major species represent the hot dog. The first one being the (chikenous porkious hotdogius) these are the smallest, attaining an adult length of 4 to 5 inches. They are common to the waters around cement blocks; old tires fold up aluminum chairs and rusted out cars that abut riverbanks with camping trailers and river shacks. The second group ( cornious notorious ) commonly referred to as a corndog can only be found at county fairground racetrack impoundments. Use caution when handling this baitfish, as severe injury as been incurred from the one sharp barb that protrudes from one end. The third and last family group is comprised of the notorious ( humongous beefosia notorious ). Their main habitat is in water that flows around and past luxury docks, houseboats, bass boats, and resorts. They range in size from 5 to 24 inches when you include their close cousin the (conious footious hotdogious) found in many of the nations roadside ditches. Now as to the questions of how to catch them and where to hook them. Placing white bread buns on a tray near the water can readily collect most. Some anglers spice up this bait by adding one or all of your basic condiments like ketchup, mustard, and pickle relish, sauerkraut or diced onion. Hot pepper sauce always works well for me.
    Hooking the hot dog, this can be very difficult or very easy depending how you approach the task. Let me first say that there is no proper way. Most anglers hook them directly through the end. Which end? It doesn’t matter. Since hot dogs don’t know their head from their ass you shouldn’t worry about it either! :wink:

Happy Forth of July!! Live Free! :big_smile:

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thank you Jack for educating us. There is just sooo much mis-information out there when it comes to hotdogs. Your guidance will undoubtedly keep countless anglers free from shame and embarrassment, and maybe even save a few lives.

I would like to ask you if you think its OK to use WD-40 in addition to the standard condiments or should I just concentrate on the basics till I feel more at ease.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks Jack, i may never be able to look at a hot dog again without giggling:0a1:

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

I'll tell You Jack'If I Diden't Know better I'd say You Been Hanging around with that Postbettle Fella!!! Bad Boy,Bad Boy.All of us that Know Him back here in Iowa Know that the OLD retired Vet has been Kicked in the Head one to many times by them critters he use to treat.I was talking to him the other day on the phone and he told me he was out in his back yard and he heard his old dog barking and he looked around and could see him Way up in top of His big Oak tree.So I ask Him, Well How in the world did You get him down.and his reply was. Quote (No problem at all, just Flu up there Grabbed him and Flu back Down) POOR SOUL I understand theres not much the Doc's can do for Him.J.D.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks JD, I consider it high praise when ever I am likened to one of the many NUT"S on the BOC that contribute to the sanity of our world: including YOU! :crazy:lol

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Skip, they make their own grease, there is no need for the WD.:big_smile:

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All joking aside about hot dogs. I soak them in cherry kool aid and and garlic powder before each TN fishing trip. Hey this is no joke. After 1 week to 10 days in a my boat, sitting out in the open under my console, they will not draw fly's. They are just as good as the first day.

What has happened to Hot Dogs? When I was a kid, hot dogs would get that white slimey junk on them and rot in the open. Now days they are bullet proof.

The next time for fish bait I want to leave them in the sun to toughen them up as fresh ones come off the hook easily.

All joking aside, it makes you wonder when something you eat won't rot. :

tounge_out: :wink:

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Thanks Jack for clearing it all up for us. So many different opinions out there on the elusive hotdog had me so confused. I now believe that I can use a hotdog for flathead bait with confidence. Just a couple question on the species cornious notorious. Should I scale it's thick tasty coating off or use it as nature intended? Also should it's spine be clipped or not?

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason if you are using it live then just scale one side to add to the attracting power, as we all know that they are very slow movers. If you are using it for cut bait, well just leave it alone.:0a26:

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Got it now Jack. Thanks so much. Can't wait to get out to the river and start slinging dogs. lol.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like my hotdogs without any Garlic. Roasted over the open flame and then placed inside of fresh bun and coated with mustard and onions. It amazes me that with all the plentiful natural baits, that people actually fish with these things. Please take just a moment to consider the harm done to the fish. We all know that they are not good for you. They surely cannot be good for the fish either.....please dont poison the fish..LOL:smile2:

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Quit giving my secrets away :smile2:

13. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    the best thing about hotdogs is that iffin the fish don't bite, you can eat the bait!!!:smile2: