Hot dog weiners for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I hear about some of you talking about using weiners for bait. Are they very effective? How do you use them? I mean, do you cook em first, or just take them outta the packet and throw em in?

Also, if it matters, what is the best kind to use? They seem like they'd be pretty good cheap bait.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adrian most fisherman love to experiment. Those that have used Hot Dogs successful. Cut them in small chunks, place them in a zip lock bag, and soak them in garlic or anise extract. Place them on a hook, leaving the point of the hook exposed and cast them out. I hope this works for you. You can do other baits the same way.:smile2:

3. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I cut them in to 1/2in or 1in peaces, then use them like that or I'll put them in some Koolaid to change there color. I put the hook through the peace of hotdog then I turn the hook back in to the peace. It makes it weedless and you'll find that it won't cast off as much that way.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've used them raw for bass,but never had a catfish hit them.:006::0a22:

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hot dogs have worked for me I have caught plenty of them with this bait. You can also marinate them in garlic as Mickey has stated. Use them uncooked if you want you can zap them in the microwave on medium setting for about 10 seconds just to get the juices in them flowing (dont cook them they dont hold as well). Seems like the cheaper ones work better the pricey one that they mix chicken, turkey and beef in them. But I have used the pricey Ball Parks one with success also. So i guess you might have to do a little experimenting with them.

6. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use the little smokes with cheese , I as the meat market if they have any of these that the date is to run out , if so make me a deal. 99 percent of the time it works .

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    A little trick I use with the dogs is when I get set up and anchored down I slice little thin slices off and pitch them in the water around the boat. If there are any minnows around they will boil the water fighting over the small floating pieces and that in turn lets the bigger fish hear or feel the feeding frenzy and they come searching for the bait fish,
    This has produced some good fish. Bass , crappie, and cats.

8. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I use them until I can trap bream for cut bait. Buy the cheap ones $.79 / #.
    They work good except they don't stay on the hook very well in water with much current

9. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Nuff said, thanks Mickey.

10. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    sometime I use them for trotlines.

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used hot dog with some success. I cut them in pieces about 3/4 to 1 inch. I marinate them with garlic salt, anise extract, vanilla, cinnamon and dry kool-iad. The juice from the hotdag and the vanilla dissolve the koolaid adding some color. I put them on a # 6 treble hook. I use the line to split the hotdog about half way. Them I slide the hotdog down onto the hook and bury them. It's pretty tough to get off and I can cast a good distance. I mainly bank fish but I have used them in the river too.

12. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    I used them on limb lines when I was a kid caught a few fish on them too.

13. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use hotodgs all te time and i'll let u in on an old family secret.cut them bout 1/2 to 1 inch chuncks put 2 paketes of strawberry coolade in a jar put 2 cloves of garlic in also and fill with enough water to fill the jar put lid back on jar let sit for at least 24 hours, but i find it the longer u let it soak the better it would be.I hope this helps you.

later day and time,
    JR

14. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    the best thing about them is if the fish are not bitting you can eat the bait.