Hot dog-strawberry pop bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Old Bill, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I'm a novice when it comes to making baits to use for catfish. Most of the catfish fishing I've done is using jug lines and cut or live bait on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma. And for sure I'm a novice when it comes to catching large catfish. The largest I have caught in some 20 years was a 18 lb bluecat on a rod and reel.

However, after reading some of the hot dog bait receipes I got all excited and decided that was something I could do!

So I cut up a package of hot dogs into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces and covered then with strawberry pop and then added 4 garlic cloves.

Now, what I'm hoping is some of you good folks will tell me how long is too long to leave the hot dog pieces in this mixture! It will be 5 days before I will be at the lake. What should I do next??

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Old Bill

2. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Catfish Trainer for the reply. I was kind of afraid if I left the hot dogs in the liquid too long something bad would happen! :crazy:

But, from your results, I will be OK for several weeks.

Thanks again,

Old Bill

3. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    The longer the better!

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Catfish Trainer and pythonjohn,

Do you believe adding some vinalla and/or anise to my hot dog strewberry pop/garlic mixture make the hot dogs more attractive to catfish?

My long suffering wife has both on hand.....

Old Bill

5. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    :0a23:ive had a jar in my fridge for well over 4 weeks. still pretty firm dogs. careful casting though. had a few problems with the dog flying off. good luck

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill experimenting with different additives is another excitement in catfishing. You can use your own experiments, keep a log and will soon learn what the fish prefer on that day. I have found the blues/Channels love anything with garlic. Good Luck.:big_smile:

7. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use hotdogs more than anything. I dont soak them just open'em and cut'em in 3 chunks. I have caught several fish over 40 lots in the 10-20 range and last fall floating the missouri river with jugs I caught a 73# blue. I do however use the cheapest dogs I can find. GOOD LUCK

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Sometime I eat a can of sardines and add the juice from the sardines to the hot dogs.
    I'll aso take a fork and poke holes in the dogs so the flavor get all inside.:wink:
    Now I am tellin all my secrets.
    Try it you will like it! :cool2:

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy all,

I just returned from 14 days at the lake. I didn't catch any large catfish, but did catch a bunch of eating size channel and blue cats.

I believe that two or three 1 1/2 lb cats were caught on the hot dog bait, but, not real sure because I tend to forget what hook had what bait on it!:confused2:

Almost every time I ran my three jug lines (Yeah, I know that I should have had at least 20 jugs!) I would have one or two baby catfish hooked!

Had a great time....

Old Bill