Hot dog question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by heeler, Jun 20, 2006.

1. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    A buddy of mine(the best man at my wedding)said he's been catching channels on jugs baited with hotdogs.He has been known to be a little windy,so I was wondering if there is any truth in it.How would you make it stay on a hook in current?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep they work take em out of the package cut em into 3/4"-1" pieces cover in garlic let em sit for a couple of days in the fridge a vilola catfish bait.

3. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    do they stay on the hook O.K.?What kind of hook do you use?Thank you mike

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I use them all the time on limblines and trotlines. They are about the best bait you can get. I found the cheap ones like Elm Hill Dinner Delights work best. They are tougher and seem to stay on better. I split them down the middle and then cut crossways into about 1 inch pieces. Last week I had two 40 hook lines and caught the fire out of fish in two days. I had 3 five gallon buckets full of guts. I didn't even count the packages of fillets. I caught and released 4 big fish 20-35 lbs.

I haven't used them much with a rod & reel because they sling off pretty easy when casting.

Check out my post on the Tennessee board titled "They're Biting"

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    From what I've heard the cheapest nastiest hot dogs make the best bait.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you cook your dogs first, they are a bit tougher...cook with garlic to enhance the flavor. My favorite dog is Oscar Meyer's with cheese in the middle. I've caught 5 lb channels with them, all on rod and reel as I don't trot or jugline...not a good idea from a kayak, my primary fishing boat.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    what about balogna(sp) they put worms in that stuff, also probably the cheeper hot dogs as well lol

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    what i do when usin the dogs is i will tie them on with some fishin line just like i do with livers... i only fish rod and reel... so i had to do something... lol... but the line works good... all you gotta do is keep the line tight when you are tieing it, but not too tight to cut the hot dog

9. RivCat

RivCat New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive used hot dogs many a time, I use a # 4 treble hook cutting the dogs into small enough pieces to stay on the hook, be easy casting hard cause they will come off if yanked hard enough, you can also rap them in nylon stocking to keep bait from being stolen.

10. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    When I use hot dogs I use a treble hook with a snap swivel. Cut the hot dog into about 1/2 inch lengths and slide it over the center of the treble hook and snap it on. Works good and you can cast it.

11. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You can also catch the fire out of bluegills using tiny bits of hot dogs (or bologna)

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Huh???

13. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I worked in a small slaughter house and I was told they used some type of worms in bologna.

Check the ingredients and it'll say earthal bait, or something like that, and I was told this was worms?

I was also told this by someone from USDA, they were the ones that inspected the slaughter house.

Ken

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Mike, down here at Lake of the Ozarks they do indeed catch a lot of eater size Channel Cats and Blues on Jugs and hot dogs.:wink: