Hot dog bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by countryboy32c, Aug 29, 2009.

1. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I found this little recipe to work round here for cats. Take a package of hot dogs put in zip lok bag add a little olive oil sprinkle some granulated garlic and the a little anise kitchen spice let sit for a couple days in fridge then trow it out and let the cats come on.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rick thanks for sharing your receipt.

3. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    That does work well. I cut em up add your garlic powder and a packet of Kool-Aid and shake reel well and go fishing. Stinks bad but really lets off a good scent in the water. Red and orange Kool-Aid have done good for me. The Kool-Aid will stain so make sure the kids don't wipe their clothes. Found out the hard way.:smile2:

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Sounds like it deserves a try to me. Thank you for the info.

Ray

5. TheYoungOne

TheYoungOne New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thax for the idea i might try this

6. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    sounds like a winner. I'll def. give it a try.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My old reciepe was 1 pack beef hotdogs because they are a little tougher and stay on the hook better, 2 packs strawberry kool aide, Quater cup parmesaun cheese the kind you put on pizza, and a couple tablespoons chopped garlic that they sell in jars. Let them ferment in mason jar at least a few days. Had real good luck on that, even caught a few Blues. Dont use it anymore, went to live bait and the size of fish is no comparison. The parmasaun cheese puts a oil in the water. Kinda like when you mix oil and water you can see a little rainbow slick. Good luck on whatever you use.

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Giving this a try this coming weekend. Will let everyone know how I fair. Had this in the frig since Monday. Again, thanks for the information in advance.

Ray

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,

Here's the report on this bait guys: Gave it a valliant effort and did not catch on it. Had a tough outing, so I will probably give this a try again sometime. Only caught 1 catfish in 5 hours and that was on chicken liver.

Ray

10. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Thought of an interesting (in my mind) question. Do hot dogs redily absorb scent? I am thinking in terms of putting cut hot dogs in with chicken livers so that they absorb the blood and scent. Has anyone ever tried this? I will let everyone know what becomes of this experiment, unless someone has traveled this road before. Thanks!

Ray

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sometime you ought to try a live Bluegill. You might be suprised what happens. Hot dogs will get you numbers but live bait will get you size. Just a suggestion. Good luck out there.

12. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I have tried cut bluegill, but not live bluegill. I will give it a shot. Thank you very much for taking the time to steer me in the right direction. :wink: I'm in the process of building some floats out of pool noodles to suspend the bait. :big_smile:

Ray

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used hotdogs for bait before but never caught much on them.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ill try it out next tiem i go...with a doezen poles i cna fford to try different things