Hot dip bait trick...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dixiedrifter, Apr 23, 2006.

1. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Last coupla batchs of Doc's Catfish Getter dip bait I got were simply too thick to stick to the hook... even with the soft kind.

I tried adding a little water, stirred it up real good and it made it even worse... it really didn't want to stick and got kinda chunky.

Sooooo... I got to thinking... the stiff version is for warmer temps... why not heat up the bait a little bit and see what happens.

I stuck a small container in the microwave for about 30 seconds and viola!... instant goopy mess that stuck like crazy to the dip worm.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yeah tried that once with another kind, house stunk for a week and had to almost throw microwave away. LMAO

3. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah a little nukin goes a long way with the stink bait.

What a person really needs is one of those 12v micro fridges or a heated cup to put your dip bait in and keep it warm while your out fishing.

Once you get the dip bait on your hook all you have to do is dip it in the water for a few seconds to cool and harden it a bit then your good to go.

It stays on waaaay better then.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I saw a 12 volt coffee cup warmer at a truck stop . it plugged into cig lighter. supposed to reheat the coffee if cold. Ithink it was priced around $12.00 but not sure . it did have a removable cup . this thing was to pieces. Like a hat plate only smaller. cannot remmber which place had them. Maybe some of the trucker bros would know. catch ya later , lenny

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I think I saw on the Sonny's dip bait jars that you were suposed to add vegetable oil to thin it or corn starch to thicken it. I always use dip bait in hot weather anyway and never have a problem with it being too think. I alternate tubs in the cooler to keep it from getting too thin.

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I heated my Sonny dip bait up on the grill in an old pan. Then I took Sea sponge and put it on my hook on the back side and dipped it in and let it soak it up real good. Then just take it out slowly and hang it up in the shade for a few minutes and then put each one in it's own baggy. Stays on really good and last a long time due to it getting into every hole in the sponge.

7. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Definately something I need to try the next time we use dip bait. Good info

SudDawg

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I know they have those candle warmers at Wally World that head the jar to put off scent. Wonder if that would work as well for stink bait.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have been heating dip bait for a while. I made a post about it awhile back. I use one of those little butane stoves that sell for under 12 bucks and put my dip bait container in a pan with the heated water. You can also use a sterno stove which is less then 5 bucks! When you pull your dip worm out, dip it in the river before you cast to let the dip bait "set up"! As the weather gets hotter, the stuff gets soft enough without heating!

10. Nooga

Nooga New Member

State:
    Chattanooga,Tennessee
    Thanks for the info.

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I never heat up my dip bait because it's made to be used when its hot. Don't get me wrong I've caught catfish w/ dip bait when its cold, but I've had better luck w/ it in the summer.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey yall,Thats good stuff I will try heating up my dip bait.Danny kings gets clumpy about half way through the jar.I like Hog Wild best...:big_smile:

13. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I have really never used dip baits or really any prepaired baits. I have had some people say that they use them in the Ohio but I haven't had any luck with it. Do you guys mainly just use it in slow current waters and lakes or where do you guys find that it works best?

14. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guy,Ilike it in the lakes.The river washes it off to fast for me..:crazy: