Hot Bite

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Redtick, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Here is a picture of 2 channels, one 7 pounds, the other 4 pounds, that I caught in today's heat. And, I know some of you are purists but I also caught 10 nice crappie. It is not my biggest catch but not bad for a dog days' catch. It sure was hot today!

Attached Files:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    How deep was the water you pulled them out of?

3. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    nice catch! me n a buddy were out at lake mattoon a couple days ago and caught a mess of channels, but none those size. them crappie r gonna b some darn good eatin'.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the nice catch!!!

5. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Nice ones!! Good eating size. I love crappie so you had a great haul with them also. Congrats!!!

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Good looking channels there! But how did you stand to be out in the heat? Where you on the bank in the shade or out in a boat in the heat?

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    For me, I have found that I often catch channel catfish in the same places I catch crappie. As to where I caught them, I fish a number of lakes and rivers in the area. Some of the places I fish are overfished and I don't want to attract even more fishermen, so my locations are secret.
    One way I catch a number of both channel catfish and crappie is to troll crankbaits. The movement from the boat moving helps keep it from getting too hot.
    I could have caught these fish by trolling an awesome pink crankbait south of Bruce on Lake Shelbyville in the "fishhook area". Believe it or not, it is just about as easy to catch channels trolling crankbaits as any other method.