hose connectors

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by txthumper1691, Apr 25, 2008.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Hey guys n gals, just thought I would pass on a tip to ya. I own a mid 70's 9.5 evinrude that powers my lil 14' jon boat. Well, I was having trouble keeping th motor running. After some trial and error I finally found th problem, or should I say problemS. 1st, th threads that the gas cap screws onto were pushed in a little and had a dent in it or a lil crimp which was causing air to get in and not get proper suction. 2nd, th evinrude male and female connectors that connect th line to th tank suck. Dont use evinrude for this, even new they dont work. I found that using Mercury fittings here is your best bet. Now my lil jon just flat SCOOTS across th lake, now I am workin on fixing leaky rivets. I learned about this lil tip from a local old timer, didnt get his name. So I figured I would do th same and pass it on to y'all, so in case anyone encounters this problem you can try it and see if it works for you.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Great tip, now fix the rivets & u should be good to go!!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have had evenrudes for years and never encountered this problem, or a similar problem. Maybe I have just been fortunate or you have had bad luck. LOL

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I dunno Awshucks, but a few locals have said they have had bab luck also with those connectors, but none w/mercs. either way, mercs work for me. now lets go fishin.