Horseshoe Dam

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Secret Agent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ive seen alot of people posting about horsedshoe dam and wanted to throw this out for all to hear. Hopefully it helps you. I have not fisshed Horsehoe dam but hunt up there all winter. Very good duck hunting below the dam. Anyway I sat and watched an older gentleman absolutely slay the faltheads there a few years back nobody else fishing that night caught anything decent. He told me the following. 2 keys. 10 You must fish live carp 10-12 inch in size and 2 you need surf casting gear because the fish are in a hole out in the middle of the river. its a good distance and ONLY surf gear will allow you to reach the hole. The big flats sit down in that hole and ambush the carp as they are swept in. I watched him catch one after another really big fish.
    Hope this helps.

2. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    wonder how that hole is today

3. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    its still there but again you have to be able to cast way out 75 yards or so.

4. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Terry,

Sounds very interesting....you going down there any time soon?

5. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Can a small boat get you closer to the hole?

6. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I used to fish that area quite a bit, but the area is getting fished out with allot of people going there. You can tell by all the garbage they leave behind.:angry: You can take a small boat down there like a jon boat but the road is very rough getting there. A canoe or inflatable with a trolling motor would work as well. I used the latter and got into some great area with my inflatable. A few years back we used to boat 8-10 flatheads, averaging about 20# our largest was 42#.:big_smile: And here is the kicker we caught most of the flats around 4:00pm, then the bite died off :confused2:until nightfall :cool2: The last time I went there was last September, caught some decent channel but no luck with flatties at least that night but I was fishing from shore.
    And yeah, that person is right, if you are fishing from rocky bank you have to heave your bait out about 50 yards or more to get into the river channel where all the flatties are waiting. Watch out for all the snags. But at night they will roam the shallow flats, just make sure your bait is not hiding in the rocks. For bait, there are blue gills and tons of carp. I mostly use carp around 6-10" long, I even had one flattie take a 2# carp, couldn't even get the carp down his mouth.
    Hope this help you out.

7. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    great info! just got a new trolling motor for my 12 footer been wanting to give it a try down there!

8. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    So when we going???

9. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    tonight!!

10. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    yes maybe a 12 foot jon boat witha trolling motor. Be careful if there is a strong water flow it can be very dangerous out there. Check the release schedule.

11. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    It is dangerous fishing by the dam but there are great areas down from the dam to fish. There is a spot where you can cross over in a 4x4 to the other side to get to a farm, but from there the river will turn right and a mile from there I found a 25ft deep hole. While I was setting up camp there one day I saw a this baby bird flopping around the bank, then it fell in the water on some tall grass. I didn't pay to much attention to it but it kept chirping away. So just when I was coming over to pick this bird out of the water, this giant mouth of a flathead just engulfed it. I couldn't see how big it was but from his mouth must measured 8or9" across. I knew I found a nice honey hole, so I fished there the whole night but all I caught was turtles and channel. I know that flathead is probably full but maybe there might be more. There are holes up and down that river, it's just hard to access from shore, either you can hike and wade into the water or use a canoe because you have to cross riffles. This might be an area Rcarizona will like by looking at his postings, just a thought.

12. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I don't have much to add other than to agree with some previous statements. I have put my boat (11' jonboat) in below the dam, but it is kind of scary close to the spillway. If you do it make sure your motor is working good and you have an anchor. I fished it hard when I first heard about it in 2003-2004, but I never had much luck other than small channels. It gets a lot of pressure.

13. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I have zero interest in horseshoe dam. I have fished it, but damn if there is not a lot of pressure, even during the weekdays.

14. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Rob is right. and most of the other comments are pretty accurate as well. I bought my first penn bait caster from suey tuesday (7-7-09). grabbed my son and my john boat and headed down to the dam. there was an abundance of baitfish there. We were able to fill up a bait bucket of small carp most in the 3-4" range some 6-7". We set up camp next to the spillway. I was using carp and my son was using shrimp. I got three awsome runs on the baitcaster but failed to hook up. But it was very cool to hear that bait caster click! click! click! away! my son hooked some small channels all under 12". He even caught three baby flats with night crawler all about 4" they looked so cool that size!
    O.k now the downside! the water was real dirty with zero visibility. the water smelled really bad too! Lots of trash all over the place! Over fished? Yep! I seen others taken home stringers of the small cats! there was one family there that walked away with THREE stringers full! I know times are hard and we got to eat but give them a chance to grow!