horseshoe dam (Arizona) report

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by bigfisher17, May 27, 2009.

1. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    went out this last saturday for a overnighter with catchem up and we had really good success tried to catch flatheads with blue gill but no luck and we threw in chicken liver and caught 8 channel catfish in about 2 hours biggest one being 24 inches and the next morning we caught 2 dozen carps so over all it was a fun overnighter:cool2:

2. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Hook them carps, only cut bait i ever have goodluck with for flatheads is carp heads, dont ask me why but they do work. You might want to rig your blue gill up so once you cast him out there, he cant hide, I do sort of a modified drop shot rig, with a 5 ounce (in fast water) bank sinker. and suspend that blue gill on a 14-20 inch liter about 13 to 16 inches off the bottom. works for me......Also same rig with water dogs, but sometimes i just river rig water dogs, and pinch off their little front feet so they cant burrow, or get under rocks. Cause they will

4. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have spent many nights up at that dam, and pretty much had the same experience. A few channels, no big ones and no flatties. It looks like the ultimate cat hole, but it never seems to pay off.

5. mert

mert New Member

State:
    arizona
    u goytta let me know where u got that nice cat man i heard horsehoe has soem nice flats heads i caught 3 of them buout 23 24 inches long on live bluegill , perach and baby carp

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like you had a great time,, I didn't make it out this weekend,,
    heading to the gathering, in Blythe, this upcoming weekend, and hoping for some good fishing, and good times also..

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    snagged 2, since you got the dogg (he's towing boat down) coming, should be a good trip. LOL sorry had to throw that in.
    good to finally meet you. gonna stay at mayflower? i'll be there wed eve. just look for the old man with no teeth. LOL. also have white 2000 toyota tacoma and will have friend with newer green tacoma in campsite with me. hopefully first row to right as you enter.
    gary

8. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i wish i can go but i have to work and get a truck b4 i have fun maybe next year:embarassed:

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Hey Gary..
    We're thinkin of Mayflower,, Won't be there probably before Thursday afternoon/eve. and, will be out fishing somewhere that night. More than likely on the bank.
    Play it all by ear..Might have a different boat to bring,, bigger, more comfortable, but, not sure yet..

Hey Christian,, Too bad you can't come out for even 1 night,, or the thing on Sat..

10. gdhntr

gdhntr New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Snagged, would really like to meet you I used to fish the verde up in your neck of the woods and would like to meet tofish also and swap some stories,I wil be at the gathering will ck in at the Mayflower on Friday when I get there hope to see you I will be in a grey nisson frontier crewcab.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Gary,
    Good to meet you and your family,, at the gathering..
    Did you have any luck of the bank? I know you got a lot of info real fast, as you were leaving..,, LOL
    I've found, just about anywhere you can get a line in, will produce,, if the other factors are OK, in the CO river..IT was slow for most as , the full moon, the spawn, made , I think for a bit of slow fishing..
    Regarding the Verde River,,I wasn't much help on the local situation, as I don't fish here hardly at all... even though I'm close,, I've never caught a flathead,,,I might take kids out, or something, but, have never had much success in the Verde..for cats..

12. gdhntr

gdhntr New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Greg, see the pic on my avater, we caught that one down where we were told to fish, had two good runs on blue gills but didn't connect, Skylar hooked a bass (his first) that looked like it would go 5-7 lbs and lost it right at the bank, my fault got the net twisted up in stuff and it broke his line and flopped back in, In reguads to the verde I will let you know when we are planning a trip up there and maybe we can get together, would like to find someone to fish with up there. Gary

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Excellent Gary,,
    Glad you had some success...
    Was a fun time,,
    G

14. gdhntr

gdhntr New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Was a great time, we had veh. problems going and on the way back had a blow out,which took out my rear fender,then while changing the tire the battery went dead, 2hrs waiting on the side of the road and125.00 later (the tow truck took 2min to jump)we were on our way, got back to phx. contacted insurance co. got estimate 1900.00(500.00deductable), so with the 473,00 I spent in blythe the tire I had to buy and the fender repair the weekend was rether expencive 1334.00. I wonder if there is a prize for spending the most for one of the gatherings.LOL

15. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    ive been wanting to take a trip down to the damn but a friend of mine told me the water levl was real low any truth to that?

16. catman13

catman13 New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    ''IN THE WATER'' I GO TO BARLETT ITS THE BEST FOR ME N SEPTEMBER BIGGER THE GILL THE BETTER ITS FULL OF EM NO.8 OR 10 HOOK CLOSE TO THE BANK STRATE DOWN DONT CAST OUT U WILL GET HUNG UP 7FTOR LESS DEPTH:0a23:

17. catman13

catman13 New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    5 OR 8 YEARS AGO THE WATER WENT STAGNENT THERE THE BIGUNS DIED NOT EVERYONE KNOWS THAT BUT ONLY CHANNELS CAN BE KOT THERE USED TO BE MONSTERS N THERE:sad2:

18. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Your right years back 2002 2003 the river went 100% dry no0 water anywhere and the deep holes by the dam were stagnent. :angry: