Horseshoe Chain

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ERICP, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ERICP

ERICP New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The fall migration is on here on the chain. The early and late shallow bite is slowing down. Even with the hot-cold-hot weather we are having, the cats seem to responding to changing seasons. They are still aggressive, while out recently to fish crappies and walleyes they were hitting jigging spoons and other jigs in water up to 18 feet deep. Pretty soon slip bobbers in the hole will get a lot of action.
    This is my first post here. Although some of you might have seen some of my posts at other sites.

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Eric, welcome to the BOC.
    Haven't fished the horse shoe chain yet, though I will give it a try some day.
    For me the fall bite has been great. Been using chicken livers and night crawlers with great results. I have found chicken livers only work in early spring and fall. While during the summer I get better results with cut sucker and live creek chubs.
    I was out last night (St. Croix) and the bite was continuous. I easily could have kept my limit of nice eater size (2-10 lb.). I finally left when I ran out of bait.

3. ERICP

ERICP New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What a nice night to be out. I was hoping to get to the St.Croix to day to chase sturgeon. Most of the cats on the chain run 2-5 pounds with a 10 mixed in every season. Cut bait is great at times but here in the chain of lakes you have to cover a lot of water so a .25 jig head with a fathead minow crushed works about the best.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I forgot to mention that I had also boated 2 sturgeon while I was out the other night. Largest around 36 inches. Haven't caught as many sturgeon this year as I have in the past, though I have seen many large ones jump while out in the boat.

5. ERICP

ERICP New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This is the first year I have fished lake St. Croix. The first time out we got 4 sturgeon and no cats. I heard last weekend that a few flatheads were caught by sturgeon fishermen. I hope that this weather stablizes. I have almost 2" of rain in the last 24 hours. As well as an on again off again tornado warning yesterday. Sounds like the weekend will be nice though....

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Not to hijack this thread from the horeshoe.

If your targeting Sturgeon and know the spot you can have a fun night.
    Went out about a week and half ago and 3 of us boated 31 sturgeon in about 4 hours with the biggest going 41 inches.

Last weekend was a big weekend for Flatheads. There was a 48 inch and 32lb flat caught on the St. Croix and on the MN river there was a 40lb and I personally pulled a 26lb and 24lb in the span of 15 minutes, All caught on Saturday before 10:00pm

thanks
    Larry

7. ERICP

ERICP New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks Larry,
    Couldn't make it to the Sturgeon contest today. But Tonight I will be on the Minnesota river trying for flats. I will be around the (Shokapee?) area.

Eric

8. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Eric, I used to fish the horseshoe chain almost exclusively and had a lot of luck fishing frogs. I spent most of my time fishing the river stretch between Richmond (I would start fishing at the old railroad tressle on HWY 23 and work north) and Farming. Most years would yield 5 or more over 10 lbs. The top I caught out there was an 18.

9. ERICP

ERICP New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ketch,

That is great info. When most people fish the chain they only think of the lakes. The river is also a great spot. If you ever get back this way I would be happy to share spots with you.

10. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have parent teacher conferences for my daughter tomorrow night, I plan on throwing a few rods in my truck when I go. Any recent patterns on the horseshoe chain that anyone knows about? Figured I might as well catch some fish before my 2 hour drive home.:big_smile:

11. ERICP

ERICP New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ketch,

I have been duck hunting as of late. But I would try and hit the bridges around the chain if your fishing from shore. They are great funnel points for the cat on the move this time of year. I have heard that pool 4 for channels is hot right now.