horses

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by chambers bd, Feb 9, 2009.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Why would horses eat the bark of trees, hard wood and ever green! about 4 or 5 trees!

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had one years ago that would do it from time to time, they were well fed and had plenty of minerals and hay and all that. They either like the way they taste or just do it cause they are bored I think...lol

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Be glad its bark,Sometimes they like to chew the PAINT off the hood of your truck. I think most times its from sheer boredom. Ever give em a watermelon rhind in the summer? :smile2::smile2::smile2:Just dont give em too many ,it can cause them cholic or so I have heard.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brain, look up the words "cribbing in horses" It is a vice, like posting on this forum everyday.

As Richard said it can be from boredom or stress. Wild horses do not do this, home on the wide range stuff.

Stabled horse or horses in small paddocks are notorious for this. Turn the TV on for them, or have a rock band play for them or have them subscribe to HiHo land so they ain't bored.

I have seen horses do this for other reasons.

The first is because they are starving to death. Folks fail to feed them something called hay or there is no pasture. I would doubt you are in that category.

The second is that when tree sap is running or the bark is juicy they will crib on this for the taste and juciness.

Third, they can be lacking something in the diet. Uncommon. The ones I have seen usually don't have access to salt or a mineral block.

Other than that they usually do it because they have no brains.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    No they are not mine, there are some down the road, maybe 3ac for two horses and they have gone to town on the trees, I was just wondering!
    Thanks!

:crazy: