Horse trough tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sorry no pics!

i got a slightly used 250 gallon oval horse trough cleaned it up and siliconed a few holes in it and threw in a couple 12" bubble stones on high output aquarium pump rated at 150 gallons. keep trough about a little over half full and drain about half the water out and add new every other day because ive had messy stinky troughs before and i dotn like them lol
    going to try and make a filtration system for it this weekend using the bucket /polyfill sub pump method i read about on here :wink:

i keep 3/4 of the tank covered with plywood and the whole trough in the shade.water has been at about 75 degrees.

been adding 10-20 gills a day for for the last week along with acouple fat bullheads..got about 70 gills now and havent lost a single one..:big_smile:
    hopefully i can get closer to 200 in there before the weekend of the 20th and keep them alive..trying to spoil them the best i can and they are getting very tame which i find odd...when i go to put mopre in in the afternoons about a dozen will come fromt eh far end of the trough to the close end and just hang out...been giving them peices of crwlers for food and some stale bread crumbs and they havent hesitated a bit on eating it. may be because i caught them at the city park where a lot of people feed ducks..maybe they are just friendly i dunno..

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    sounds like your doin it right get that filter and maybe you wont have to change out the water everyday sure is a big enough tank

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i dont know if i HAVE to change it that often but it gives me something to do LOL, actually on the phoen right now trying to round up a pool pump

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    OH BY THE WAY... WHAT IS THE LONGEST YALL HAVE KEPT BAIT ALIVE IN ONE OF THESE SETUPS?

5. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    u don't have to change so much water every other day ............. fact is , u may be changing too much ..... fish need the helpful bacteria build up, so don't get to excited about changing the water so it will be good and clear...
    i would go ahead and put at least 200-225 gallons of water in it too.......
    GET A FILTER SET UP SOME SORTA WAY ...... THAT IS IMPORTANT !!!
    a sock filled with activated charcoal and a few aquarium filters and u should be good to go ..... cat liter buckets make good filter tanks ,,,,,, gotta melt the holes in it tho ......... drill will crack the plastic for some reason ......

6. buckmaster27012

buckmaster27012 Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have been losing some of my bait and really dont know why. Water has not gotten that hot and got two pumps with air stones on them running. Also got a bucket filter system setup with poly and some ammo carb. Anybody got any suggestions on something else I could try? Been had golfish and bream in there together but dont think that should have any effect on them dying. Thanks

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If you have good aeration and good water circulation then its a water quality problem. Research about chlorine and ammonia in fish tanks because that will give you a understand of the cycles. As mentioned here already, clear water isn't usually the best water. Bacteria is needed in a established tank to control ammonia etc. In fish tanks, bacteria is usually introduced to a tank to get it cycled or a object from another established tank is put in the filter etc....this is about a 30 day process on average.

PS...make sure you get the dead ones out fast. If one even looks funny...its gonna die so get it out before it does.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I scored a pool filter/pump earlier today..does nybody know if they have enough suction to lift water about 12 inches or does it need to be gravity fed?

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    foudn out it does have more than enough to self prime..works great and the fish water looks so much better after just a day. Fish seem happier too lol. up to about 120 gills in it and 2 bullheads, still running the 2 12" air stones also, and i had 2 dead fish this morning that looked like maybe a bullhead might ate on him and the other looks like i sat my milk crate i put in for cover..right on top of him..not too bad of a loss. i also put a cover over the entire trough and put some jugs in the freezer last night so i can keep one in their at all times.

any suggestions to make this set up any better?

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've had 50-60 sunnies in my 50 gal tub for 3 weeks, a good tip is if ya only plan on keepin bait for a week or two don't feed them, that just dirtys up the water and makes more poop

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive been wondering about feeding them..i fed them some left over crawlers an stale bread about a week ago but i have twice as many in there now, only a few more days and they will get their burial at sea lol hope soemthing catastrophic doesnt happen between now an then

12. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you don't use them all on your trip this weekend, get some floating fish food from the feed store.

I put some gold fish in one of our large round stock tanks for the cows. They survived for about 5 years until predators finally got them all. I would feed them once or twice a week. There's not any filtration or air to this tank. However, the cows drink it about a 1/4 of the way down every day and it gets refilled.

Hope you caught a bunch of fish this weekend!

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    IVE GOT A FEW CHANNEL CAT IN IT NOW AND 2 DOZEN MINNERS..I THREW SOEM CAT FOOD IN THERE AND MADE A HELL OF A MESS OF THINGS LOL..ALL CLEAN NOW BUT I THINK MY PUMP DIED DUE TO A SOME FREAK ACCIDENT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WHERE THE RETURN HOSE CAME OUT OF THE TROUGH AND PUMPED IT DOWN TO THE LAST 3 INCHES OF WATER AND SUCKED AIR UNTIL IT DIED..YAY..SO I GUESS I NEED A NEW ONE NOW..

14. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have had some fish for months, even a very stubborn bullhead that I kept over the winter from last year.

You will need some kind of biological filtration going, you just got a huge aquarium now is all. :wink:

15. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    A pol pump is what I had on mine but it burnt out.Just put a good filter on it and you shouldn't have any problems.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I GOT HOME AND THE PUMP IS WORKING FINE!

I CLEAN THE FILTER EVERY OTHER DAY AND I AM GOING TO GET ME SOEM REPLACEMENTS. DO I NEED A DIFFERANT FILTER ALSO? FISH ARE THRIVING..EVEN WATCHED MY LIL FLATHEAD EAT SOME MINNOWS LAST NIGHT..HES GETTING REALLY SOCIALABLE LOL

WHAT OD I NEED TO FEED THE MINNOWS? I ONLY HAVE A A FEW DOZEN IN THERE NOW BUT I AM GOING TO BE GETTING AT LEAST 2 LBS AND MAYBE 4 OR 5 LBS (100-120 TO A POUND) IF MY DAD THROWS IN. WE USE A LOT OF MINNOWS BUT IM SURE IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO GET THAT MANY USED UP. WILL A FEW PEICES OF THE FLOATING FISH FOOD WORK FOR THEM OR JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE?

17. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Every once once in a while I'll toss in some pond flakes, for koi, and goldfish.

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    THANKS! i have been adding a few gills to the mix and they are ahrder on the minners than the cats lol everything is doing great, after cleaning the dead ones out of the suction hose lol it really churns the water

19. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if my check is good enough today iam going to upgrade my recirculator with a pvc spray bar that goes down the side of the tank, across the front , and returns down the other side, probably put holes every 8 inches..i think i have enough pump to really get the water moving

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well it aint happenin this week, but im good on bait for a while lol