Horrible Year So Far!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 8, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Two more vacation days wasted. I am off Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. Our local rivers are unfishable (A-G-A-I-N).. I spent just over 4 hours in the boat last night redoing the rear end to allow for four separate rod holder, bought som treated lumbed, $10 box of screws, etc...

We got a little rain here , but I guess up north got more. I wish summer would hurry up & come & go then I can say forget the fall flathead fishing & can concentrate on bow hunting. I think I am going to go get my arrows cuts down in the morning & enter Gander Mountain's Indoor Archery League w/ my brother in law. The weather hasn't cooperated, so I might as well spend my time doing something rather than wishing I was fishing.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    what type of boat do you have Mellon

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tracker Super Guide 14 foot Deep V
    9.9 Merc

so, the Ohio River is a possibility, but I've never taken my boat out in it, so I guess I should tag along w/ someone else in case something goes bad. I thought about Tanner's Creek but I'd have to get an IN license or New Richmond but I dont hav ehtta much gas money.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    mellonhead, simplify it and go to a lake and go JUGGIN

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm about ready to slit my wrist or at least get a box of tissues! LOL! Fish in the rain ya wimp! LOL!

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Did the river go up again? :confused2: I thought it was almost back to normal, but muddy. I know it's not good when it is going down, but that usually never stops me from catching a few. I hope to get out for a couple hours tonight. Not sure though, I'm dead tired and I'll be busy til at least eight tonight.

Mellon, we have to do something to get you back on track. I thought that 15 pounder you caught earlier this year was a sign of good things to come. Maybe you need to take a few relaxing channel trips instead waiting for those one or two flathead bites in 7 hours of fishing. Good luck man, I hope you will see better days soon.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Mellon, i would love another fishing partner, I take my boat to the ohio all the time

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Man Bryan, that really sucks. I heard that happens in Ohio. You need to come to NC. If any of our rivers are unfishable I've never heard about it.:big_smile:

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Mellon,

slide over to CJ fish the North end, I'll be out there tomorrow getting bait just throw your castnet against the new breaker wall that faces the lake let it sink a couple of feet and your set to go don't let it go down too far big boulders against that wall, the Cats are running late this year but they are on fire right now, look for the gravel bars to the left of Goose island target about 2-3 foot of water, fresh cut Shad, they are drilling the head sections also, I can fish with you at CJ monday if you want to learn the lake we can take my boat, in the morning till about noon..............Doc

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow,thanks Doc. I may just do that. What time are you going to be there. I've onyl fished CJ a couple time, onyl once by boat, I don't even know where Goose Island is, but I'll find it, if I have too.

I may have to send Dinkbuster a PM!

Oh Dink..... ;)

11. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey, I had some of my best days on the lakes and rivers in less than desirable weather. Rain is welcome in my book. And how can you stop thinking about fishing?:wink:

-M Welch

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Bryan, do you remember back when I was fishing every Thursday back in Feb and March and each Wednesday was gorgeous in the 40-50 degree range and each Thursday it would turn to crap and sleet, snow, blow and pour rain/snow and have th temps drop 20 degrees overnight and that happened every Thursday for like 7 weeks straight, man I was hot since Thursdays were my fishing night, ask Dink, I braved a few of those nights to no avail, crazy me but it looks like our weather cycles are back to really crappy weekends and about the time it clears up for the next weekend, it hammers down with more rain, Im right there with you wondering when the heat of summer will show up so we can actually get out to fish, we will worry about catching later but it would be nice to at lleast get out in decent water and weather conditions!!! It is very frustrating to say the least lately! Was gonna try tro sneak out last night with JackFish but the 1.5" of rain that mysteriously showed up at 6:00pm for an hour put all of those thoughts out.

Im prettty much open all weekend so give me a shout!
    Did you get both rod holders set up fron on thh same side as well? that would help the guy in the front of your boat.

Salmonid

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    For those f you talking about fishing in the rain, thats not the problem, its when the river is up 5-10 feet!! Jack over in Central Ohio is having the same problem, I really hate the lack of fishable weather we get here in Ohio durring the spring, I never figured out why all the fishing magazines talked about hot springtime fishing when I was growing up because we really dont get to experience very much of that. Not here anyways, we get short pockets and you better go but im like Bryan, and Flathunter, we can only go every once in a while so we are forced to fish on crappy days:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Or not go at all, then we do bad and get really mad.

Salmonid

14. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Tomorrow I'll be there around 11 or so just gathering bait for the weekend, Monday I can be there at 6am and fish till noon then have to head to work, get back wih me and let me know............Doc

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Mellon, After reading a bunch of Doc's posts and visiting his website several times, I'd be all over this offer like white on rice if I was you.....Just checking out how he has his boat setup and getting his pointers on the way he uses his fishfinder would be worth the drive over there.....

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rain....? Man I wish it was just the rain. I'll fish in the rain, snow, etc... (no thunderstorms or twisters! :lol: ) It's the fact that the rivers are blown out & unfishable, not to mention that the gates to the ramps are closed when this happens.

Doc,

Monday sounds good. I sent you a PM. Just let me know. I think Dinkbuster & I will be @ CJ around 10 or 11 in the morning. PM me your cell # again & we'll keep in touch.

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Hey if all the rain makes the Rivers unfishable just go to a lake. The rain will be washing alot of worms/grubs and other bait into the water making them easier to catch at least cheaper. I went last week to Buckeye with just worms and they were hitting left and right. My family caught 5 all were in between 3-4lbs and this couple next to me caught a couple that were about the same size. At least it would keep you fishing and having fun with it they may not be monsters but its fish and you wont get skunked.

18. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was in Columbus last night. I had no idea we got an inch and a half of rain. That means I am definately going to try to get out tonight. I love fishing the river when it is flooded. I wanted to get out last weekend when it was crazy flooded but never had the time. I'm a bank fisherman though, so I never have to worry about getting a boat onto the water. Although I do use a canoe 90% of the time.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tanya are you CRAZY?????:eek:oooh: This is MELLON we are talking about here.Lack of fishing success follows him every where he goes.:lol: DON"T you dare invite him to NC.Nobody will get a bite for 6 months.I'm trying to get him to go to Santee in order to save the big fish.I figure a weekend trip down there will save the fish for at least a year.Thats the minimium time it takes for an area he fishes to recover.Hell I heard the ******* went out of business.:tounge_out: :cool2: :wink: :smile2: :roll_eyes:

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    If Mellon goes fishing with DOC, and they get skunked, I vote we change Mellon's name to "Pepe LePew" :lol: