HORNADY GMX

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by chambers bd, Jul 5, 2009.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    HI FOLKS.
    Has any one heard of these new hornady rounds!

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    nice concept..but little expansion below 2000 fps.
    The BC does not look too bad....I have always shot my game in a vital spot, so expansion is of little concern, compared to accuracy.

The only way to tell if they are good for your gun is to shoot them.
    That goes for any round though.

I think all manufactures are just giving the public some other choices over lead and offering alternatives...

Bullet manufactuer and design have came a long way in the last 15 years.

But them old rounds will still get the job done....

When i wanted a new ambasaduer 7500 fishing reel and a 15 foot fenwick rod..I told myself...
    Self-- do i really need to spend $300 to catch a fish...Them old $20 penn reels are still catching fish :big_smile:
    But i did just buy 200 bullets for my .308 savage 10fp....Sierra 180 gr. game kings...have not loaded any yet ,,but there is plenty of time

3. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    I too am concerned that expansion may not be adequate at extreme distances. I've seen their adds about expansion at 2000 fps and I'm a little concerned that without adequate expansion a poor blood trail would result. My wife shoots Barnes which are touted to expand much better even at lower velocities, however I have found they don't expand as well as advertised either. The do hit hard and we haven't lost any game as of this writing however I value a blood trail if the animal runs. If you will be shooting game at modest distances and can assure your speed will be adequate to cause sufficient expansion then I woudl give them a try. The gilding metal the bullet is costructed from is a bit hader than pure copper and consequently should resist deformation a bit more. I woudl imagine that their straight line penetration is excellent. If you choose to shoot them drop us a line, I'd love to know how they perform.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I will should I locate a box for 300 weatherby mag, I really like Nosler partions!