Horeshoe Dam results/ last night

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by jasonhumble7, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well went to horeshoe dam last night. Got their about an hour before sun came down and tryed to locat some bluegill. Everythrow of the net was carp carp and more carp. We could not find any bluegill. About 10 oclock i looked at my pole and it was bouncing a little bit. I though it was the carp i had on their for bait, but when i realed it in it was a baby flathead. probably less than a pound. I didnt even know you can catch them that small. Played out the rest of the night dodgeing lighting and getting hit by sprinkels. Didnt even have any runs. I think it was do to the fact that their is just to much carp. They are probably over fed. So the moral of story is stay away from horeshoe dam. Still on the hunt for my fist big flathead bacuse you and i both know we are not going to count that one. I was close to landing one last week when it broke my 30 pound braided line at san carlos. So i know where their at and im going to just keep trying.
    Humble :cool2:

2. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Cool thing about Big Flatheads is that they love prime time real estate. So if you catch one big one in one spot, you can usually catch another in the same spot. That is why you can have honey holes that usually produce when flatheading! That is good though that you caught your first flathead..congrats, small or not, that little one still popped your flathead cherry! LoL

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

3. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
  4. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    congrats man on your 1st flat.

5. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    good job jason! was the flathead smaller than the twins in your avatar? Well, atleast the monkey is off your back...bigger flatheads are just around teh corner!

6. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Nice job Jason, gotta start somewhere:wink:

7. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Is there even a lake at horseshoe anymore? I read the AZGFD reports and it says no pool, what does that mean?

8. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    No Tim, I was at the river right below the dam. I hear the fishing used to be good, but it is so over grown with carp now.

9. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    nice job jason!!! i have spent alot of time in that river even a the dam but i have had alot better luck down river then at the dam there is so many carp there i would take my liitle aluminum boat out in the middle and catch carp with a dip net. that tells u how many carp are in there. and then take them down river a find a nice hole

10. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yes sir sounds like a plan. Their is a huge open area a little ways down river atleast a quarter mile wide that if you had a boat would probably be good. My buddy and I hiked back their a couple weeks ago but you really need a boat out their. Looks reallly deep and very wide.

11. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have a small 8 ft flat bottom and took it to horeshoe back in mar and we caught 25 channels in 2 hrs. all round a lb though nothing big.rite below dam in middle of river.

12. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Jason,you the fishinest dude i now right now!!:smile2:

13. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah i have always done prety good on channels there with liver on a little boat just not flatts to many carp

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats atleast your fishing

15. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    ive fished there 4 20 yrs and only caught 2 flats thare. and they were dinks.

16. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    im tryin to get my post up. how was the road and was there a pool on lake side?thanks

17. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Did not see the lake side. Road still sucks like always!

18. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    And thanks brian the lion, im gald i can humor you!!!:eek:oooh:

19. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have caught a lot of 10# at that first camground down. but have had a lot more success about a mile down river from the farm

20. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    LOL does that qualify you to say that area sux, with out getting ripped apart?!?!?! LMAO