Hopin' Johns

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My Mom use to fix this for me, I have been thinking about them for about 2 weeks now, and thought I would share...simple dish and easy to fix, can be fixed in a crock pot, or over the stove.

1 lb Dry Blackeyed peas
    bacon grease (You can add the bacon if you want)
    salt
    pepper
    rice

Wash blackeyed peas and fix like you regularly would, either over the stove or in a crock pot, add the bacon grease into the water and add salt and pepper to taste.

When the blackeyed peas are soft, add the rice, depending on whether you like a lot of rice vs peas or a lot of peas vs rice, how much rice is up to you. I like enough rice to soak up all the water, if the rice is stall hard and you may have to add some water.

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    My local grocery store used to carry this stuff canned. It was a very good side dish, or hearty enough for a quick and lazy main course. I can't remember the name brand now as the store stopped carrying it, but it had tomatoes and jalepenos in it as well as those other ingredients. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I tried about a lb of salt pork, blackeyed peas, and some black beans, also a little barley. I put it in a 7 qt crock pot and let it cook. MMmmmm good. Even the wife liked it. I want to make some more, but can't find salt pork lately. Sometimes I use barley, sometimes wheat, sometimes wild rice, red, brown or white rice. I'll try bacon if I can't find salt pork next time. I figure a 7 qt crock pot is a lot of cheap meals.