Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an excellent time fishing the Catfish Nation tournament with Ramon on Saturday/Sunday. Met Ramon at the ramp at about 4pm, had our arsenal of bait that included eels, live bluegill, and shad. They dropped the green flag a little before 7 and it didn't take Ramon long to get to the front of the pack in his new boat! This thing is DEFINATELY a catfish machine and even better, its equipped with a 175 HP! Pulling to the front of the pack was our highlight of the tournament! Had 2 good take downs in our first 20 min. of fishing, at the same spot Ramon said we were in shallow water so to prove his depth finder wrong I decided to poke the bottom of the river with one of my rods ----- It slipped out of my hand and straigt to the bottom of the river went a $100 Abu reel spooled with $30 of Power Pro. That set the tone for the remainder of the night....We moved spots and Ramon felt something was wrong with the boat.....Come to find out, the boat was fine, Captain Ramon forgot to pull up the rear anchor! lol (sorry ramon, had to tell it) About 2am it began pouring rain along with plenty of lightening...Turned on the VHF and heard that they were calling for 30-40 MPH wind gust! We decided to head back to the dock (about a 30min boat ride)........Finally about 3:30 the storm passed and we were back in action! Stayed close to the dock this time still with no luck.......About4:30 am Ramon and I had fallen asleep for about 20 min. only to be woken up to a rod making a racket in the rod holder (out of 10 rods, we caught the fish on the one withOUT the bait clicker) ----Captain Ramon set the hook as I run to the back of the boat to get the net! We both thought, "MAN, THIS IS THE ONE WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR"............As I scramble for the net, ramon, iN a very disappointed voice says to me, "don't bother with the net"........He was right, it wouldn't be necessary to net our big catch, a 3 lber! :) A few nice fish in the 30lb range did manage to make it to the scales though.......I had a great time regardless. Thanks again Ramon, you got one heck of a catfishing set-up, and thanks to Tim for a great tournament!

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Thanks Larry good to see you guys had a good time as thats what its all about. Money you may win will be spend very fast in gas and stuff for the next tournament. But the thing that goes on at one of these will be talked about for years to come and the freindship can go on for life. Hope to see you guys at the next one should be alot better

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Thanks again for comin down Larry and fishin wit me, I had a blast. The rain was the worse part. I didnt even mind not catching many fish cause its always fun to hang out with a good friend and just have fun with all the silly things that happens on a bunch of boats with crazy people. Had fun meeting alot of guys that I talk to online all the time. Hey Larry Sunday was great, caught about 8 fish from 8-11 in one spot and a couple that would've gotten us close. Had one good pull down on Shad that when he pulled the rod down and it almost kissed the surface, that he would be the new state record lol. Mike and his wife met up with me about 1100, we went back to hopewell to the Ben Harrison and caught about 10 more fish. All my fish 13 of the fish I caught were all on Bluegill, go figure, guess they are killing them for being close to the nests. oh well Pretty decent day.

here's a couple pics of the blues and a Flattie I caught friday night

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for comin down Larry and fishin wit me, I had a blast. The rain was the worse part. I didnt even mind not catching many fish cause its always fun to hang out with a good friend and just have fun with all the silly things that happens on a bunch of boats with crazy people. Had fun meeting alot of guys that I talk to online all the time. Hey Larry Sunday was great, caught about 8 fish from 8-11 in one spot and a couple that would've gotten us close. Had one good pull down on Shad that when he pulled the rod down and it almost kissed the surface, that he would be the new state record lol. Mike and his wife met up with me about 1100, we went back to hopewell to the Ben Harrison and caught about 10 more fish. All my fish 13 of the fish I caught were all on Bluegill, go figure, guess they are killing them for being close to the nests. oh well Pretty decent day.

here's a couple pics of the blues and a Flattie I caught friday night
I was just reading an article that was saying that live eels work great during the spawn because the cats are in "defense" mode and find the eels threatening around any females and/or nest. Glad you got some action on Sunday. I checked in the hotel and went straight to sleep.......Woke up in time to watch the race and right back to sleep. Of course my trip wasn't complete without stopping at Green Top and buying a replacement for that rod/reel combo I lost :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.