Hope she Floats

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Apr 7, 2008.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Hey Do you guys think a 20hp motor will push my boat up river?

I'm thinking about taking my motor off, and using the motor for the jon.
    Its small but very reliable. If this work out my floating days are over. Only problem I see so far is turning with my rod rack back there

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Willieman I dont doubt it will indeed push the boat up the river, but I just dunno how fast. I can hold position on the river with my trolling motor so Im sure you'll make progress. I'm sure some of these other guys will have some knowledge in that department.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would say it would deffinetely push your boat up the water

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Willie, it will probably push it but you gotta remember how fast the jon goes with that motor and that the other boat is no doubt heavier. But it will beat sittin at the house or fishin on the bank

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    When we were kids my stepdad took us downriver all the time with a 9.9 Merc on the back. He brought us back upstream also with a 9.9 Merc on the back.:crazy: That upstream trip was soooooo slow it was embarrassing! And tedious! I wanted to crawl in a hole so the other kids would never see me in that stupid boat!

Course you are talking about a 20hp, but the boat is way heavier than that deep V 16 footer. Well, maybe not, my stepdad weighed about 350 lbs and stood 6'8" so we had a heavy load aboard!

I think it will push it but you won't set any speed records. But you gotta do something Willie, you're getting a reputation for FLOATING downstream lately!:smile2:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Willie, that 20 will do you fine. I think my boat tops out at a whopping 25MPH up stream, but I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, so no big deal. These other guys are worried about all those PRO tourneys they fish when they need to beat everybody to their hole:smile2: If you fish around Alton in normal river conditions, there's not much current to worry about anyway, if it's normally like it is the time I was over there last summer. Robert's got a 25 on his 17' Tracker and he fishes it on the MO all the time. Not the fastest ride, but it's dependable and probably does around 17 or so with me and him in it.

Look at it this way, that 20 is ahead of your current power plant in that:

1. It GOES upstream
    2. Downstream speed will be a lot faster than floating with the current:wink:

Peace of mind is way worth a bit slower ride till you get the other one the medical attention it needs.:big_smile:

Good Luck!

Branden

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    I agree, something gots to happen skip, I was on the IL. side when it died. I knew I could float down river. It was crossing it without a barge coming is what had me shaking

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    I dont know Bob, I mean I'm not Rat by a long shot but I can pick up the floater, but cant move the jon

It will be a slow ride but I'm not big on speed (not yet)
    This is only my second year with a boat. I'll be with you guys soon:big_smile:

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    20 hp will move you fine. It will take a little longer, that's all.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep it may be a little slow but it will work, Willie, have you figured out what is the deal on your engine? is the coil going bad? are you going to take it off to take somewhere for work or just off, because you could hook it up like a pony motor and still use you boat steering? And if you have any idea what part you need I know a fella up the road that has a lot of older engine parts.

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    He's probably gonna need at least 1 coil Randy... Willie is that a 2 cylinder or a 3 cylinder motor..

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I figured that much, if'n that is the problem?? The fella just picks up any engine from where ever town sales, auctions what ever and strip down the good parts, has a shed full of crap from pull ropes to lower units....Thought I would ask maybe find what he needs, I know how them postal workers can get :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Hey, has your buddy got a cowl for a 1980 75 OMC? Mine is beat up and I'd like a spare to put on while I re-do mine.

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sent ya an email BROTHA from the western skyline:smile2:

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Willie I have never fished yer area but I am all over the Sippi up her....I have a 15ft 15 hp motor and I scoot ok-heck the fish aint no hurry to bite I aint no hurry to get there and catch em:wink:USE THE 20hp.....GO FISHIN!

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
  17. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Its two spark plugs on each side (total of four)

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Dagum Willie',
    that is one clean looking engine, you just give it a bath? I will check on the coil(s) for ya and let ya know what he has eithre way, in a couple days.

19. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    This is the cleanest motor I've seen for its age. I just wish it would act right

20. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

I havent clean it since i got it Randy, I got some old timers pissed cause I want to use it for catfishing instead of a boat show........LOL