Hopalong Cassidy

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jul 28, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Any of you old enough to remember Hopalong Cassidy at the Saturday afternoon picture show? He was my favorite at the picture show. Also liked his sidekick.. George "Gabby" Hayes. Always stayed till I'd seen it twice. This was about 1941 through 1947. The show was 9 cents, popcorn a nickel.

This afternoon on a cable movie chl. I watched a documentary on William Boyd. It was very interesting to me. So much that I didn't know about him. He turned his life around and was really a great guy starting about the time he started playing Hoppy in 1935. Later He would be the first to get his old movies on TV... this was on the only TV station in Los Angeles. It then spread over the country. That was the one thing that really made him popular with the kids and adults. This happen about 1950... heck, I didn't know TV had been invented until I went in the AF in 52. The Hoppy I knew was from the old movies in the 40's. Hoppy died in 1972. Hollywood sure has changed.. they just don't make any more like old Hopalong.

The documentary was narrated by "Chester", Dennis Weaver and Boyd's wife, Grace. So happen a few years back, my wife and I drove up to Weaver's house at Ridgway, Colorado. It's out in a common part of the country on a plain old dirt road.

Attached Files:

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    not old enough to experience Hoppy at the picture show but now have a collection of DVD's of him....love those classics

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Love gabby always have and always will

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he had a white horse ,with a black saddle and the horse's name was TOPPER. I think that is right.
    And Hoppy always wore two guns. Yep I remember him very ,very well.

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I REMEMBER HIM VERY WELL. FISRT THING I EVER WON WAS A Hopalong Cassidy POCKET KNIFE. WAS PROBABLY AROUND 8 OR SO. iT WAS IN THE EARLY 50'S

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If I remember right he came to Indianapolis , In. for the 500 parade and rode a white horse and did TV promotions in the fifties. He was a good role modle for us kids on Saturday mornings.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    yes I remember him and gabby haven` thought of them in years

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dayton you sure are making me realize how old I am.

Digging up bones:lol: :lol:

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was more in the Lone Ranger era on TV. Also liked Danial Boone with Fess Parker. Who would name their kid Fess? Or Gabby for that matter. I don't think Hoppilong was his real name. Any one know what his real name was?

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Never missed Hoppy on sun morns , it was Notre Dame football ,Hoppy , Meet the Press , The American Sportsman , Disney ,and Mutual of Omaha' s Wild Kingdom . I love Sunday's .
    Brian

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dayton,

Those 2 were favorites of my Dad and I've seen most of the reruns. Heck I still watch them today if I happen to be channel surfin'. Don't watch much TV anymore.

Thanks for the memories.
    Cheryl

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    So right! He got Topper the year he married Grace, his last and 4th wife. She said he loved to ride him in parades. Also said after Topper died at age 26 Hoppy would never ride again for he could never find a horse that he'd trust around kids. Said the kids would be all around Topper, pulling his hairs for souvenirs but Topper never stepped on one of them.

Willard, the older I get, the more I think about the past, but you probably don't do that. :lol:

"This afternoon on a cable movie chl. I watched a documentary on William Boyd." :big_smile:

Attached Files:

13. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Hey Daton I watched it a lot . I have DVD'S also but now I can listen to the radio show on XM radio. Hoppy had a couple of sidekicks but the one that was with him the most played sunset carson, I cain't think of his name right now.

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Hoppy rode down main street in manhattan ks. in the 40s . I don't remember the year. It was a thrill for all the kids.

15. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Where have all the role models gone, That we had?
    Is their any left anywhere, only ones I can think of is, The boys in service, dont see it on tv anymore
    \ Jim

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    What a house! Olefin that's one pitiful shack Chester has there. He earned it, though. Thanks for the pic.