Hoover 6-3-08 What a night!

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SteelWolve, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SteelWolve

SteelWolve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Monday, Mike and I headed out to Hoover. We got on the water about 6pm and hit about 30 shad with the net, the bite had been pretty slow so we figured that was more than enough. We were headed out to the only spot we have landed any in, in about 2 weeks when I decided to pull off and try the back end of an Island. As soon as we got there we heard thrashing in the water, after looking around for a couple of minutes, and figuring they were carp spawning, we saw that they were BIG male channels spawning / protecting??? on their nests. There were litteraly 50+ fish splashing about and going crazy all around us, was truely an incredible thing to watch. Now at this point we were talking about how they must be spawning and we probally wont get a bite. I have always been told that during the spawn they are only focused on doing their buisiness and that they wont eat, ... Well that theory is TOTALLY false. As soon as we put our shad out... Bam... we went through that 30 shad in about a half hour, landing only 3, my new PB 16# channel, and a 5# and 4# female. We were missing them like crazy, so we swiched down to a 1/8 oz sinker and up to 8 ott circles. And then went back on the shad hunt, we searched all over and couldnt get any , so we went all the way back to the bridge, (mind you I only have trolling motor and thats a half hour ride) An hour and a half later we got back on the spot with another 50 shad, the action had not slowed down. We ended up getting 28 total, most were between 5-8#s with 5 fish over 10#'s. Lost 2 FAT males at the boat that looked 20#'s easy. It was to the point that if you had your pole out for more than 2 mins without a bite they already got ya. This was the funnest night of fishing Ive ever had, there were many times I was fighting 2 fish at a time. So if you hear thrashing in the shallows, DONT assume they are carp, and dont assume they wont bite, get in there and nail em.. Also we CPR all our fish, hopefully not hurting the spawn.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats on the good fishing, welcome to the site also....rollo

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I just saw these same fish on OGF.:big_smile:. Congrats again.

4. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Great job on your catch. Hoover has some nice channels.

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Sounds like a good night of fishing congrats.

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Sounds like you had a BLAST!!!!!

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    those was some nice fish

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    wow,id like to get into some channels like that,nice fish

9. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im heading out there this weekend, id like to bank fish the dam.

think ill have any luck?

10. capt of the Floater

capt of the Floater New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I'm gonna say is don't waste your time down there. Head up to the north end.