Hoosier wanting to fish the Ohio river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Ed Dutton, Dec 29, 2018.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Morning Ed. Was buddy glad to get home? Sounds like your boat did well and you got a good chance to get comfortable with it. Probably got a few ideas for things you want to change or make for it. That seems to be the normal process with a new boat. In the heat of the summer is not always the best time to catch a lot of fish. It was a good time for you to tour the river and see how beautiful it is. Always remember it can have an ugly side too. I always loved being on the river but remember that it can be very unforgiving.

That was an amazing spoonbill you caught. I have only seen pictures of them. And having hooked him in the dorsal fin area he would have really put up a fight with you.

How did your loading go. I always try to get to the ramp when there is not much going on. I have gotten really efficient at loading my boat but being by myself, it can be a little time consuming.

Thanks for the great pictures. And for th reports on your first big river outing in your new boat. I have never been farther up river than Salt Creek but know there are a lot of barges just up river around that next bend. May have to get up there some day and try them out. I have also never been down river past the horseshoe bend at Leavenworth. I want to check that out soon.

Ed Dutton and SHOWME like this.
  2. Ed Dutton

Ed Dutton Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Thanks TomCat . You guys here were a great help to get me on the river safely and have fun . I kind of knew the fishing would be slow . Dog days of August didn't help . I did catch some catfish but nothing big . The spoonbill was amazing and made my trip to the Ohio a memorable one . The river was really laid back . Like you said though , looks are so deceiving . When traveling up and down the river , me and Buster had our life jackets on all the time . While anchored and fishing I took them off . I don't know , but fishing alone I probably should have kept them on at all times . If you do fall in , I know you can't react fast enough to save someone if they go under . Experience , when Buster fell in at Raccoon Lake . I thought he was gone . So from now on , fishing alone . Jackets on at all times . A small thunderstorm did blow in on us while on the Ohio . It only sprinkled where we were but it got real dark up river from us . You have to pay attention all the time when on the river . The barges are loud and you can hear them coming a long way off . That is not necessarily true . I did get surprised by one . It was coming up river around the bend down past Leavenworth . The wind was blowing just right and you couldn't hear it until it was about 300 yards away . I can't stress enough about safety while on the water . When you have a problem in your vehicle , most of the time you just get out and walk away . On the water a small problem can be a big one . I only know of one person who ever walked on water . Point being , you can never be to safe when boating .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Jesus Saves likes this.

3. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Really glad you had a good time on the water. When the fish are bitting better you will like it that much more.

I have tended to get a little lax about putting my life jacket on. My boat with the much smaller engine does't go very fast but I have been boating enough to still put my jacket on. I may just have to get one of those auto or manual inflatable jackets and just wear it all the time.

Those barges can sneak up on you. As you said, when the wind is right they can get close before you notice them. At night they are easier to hear usually and if they yank on that air horn, it can cause a little leakage. Then they also have that 5 billion power spot light. If they hold it on you for more than a few seconds you better get some sun screen on quickly.

We have to get you into doing some drifting and maybe dragging if the current is extra slow. That is the best way to cover a lot of water especially if your over a mussel bed. That friend I have that fishes that area said he went home with sore arms from catching so many drifting. Now of course that doesn't happen that often but when it does you won't forget it.

Ed Dutton likes this.
  4. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    To your comment on unloading and loading the boat . Brandenburg is a nice ramp , but only a single one . The boat dock is really nice . I would say you could dock 4 maybe 5 boats . My boat is really easy to unload and just as easy to load back on the trailer . Just as you said though . When it's a one man operation , it just takes extra time . Yes you are right , on planning the right time to unload and load . When you're by yourself planning everything is critical . As far as the boat goes , I do have a couple things to do . I'm still arranging things and adding things to make it more efficient and comfortable . I will post pictures of my next modification . lol . Oh and if any of you guys have some ideas , please let me know .

5. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I had a marine radio on my boat on the Chesapeake and if I remember right I could get continuous weather reports from it. That can be a good thing.

Ed Dutton likes this.
  6. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Cause a little leakage . TomCat you got me laughing so hard , I think I just wet myself . No Barge Whistle Needed . hahahahaha

7. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    I just need to get my VHF put on my boat . You are ABSOLUTELY right .

pikeintheboat and twaskom like this.
  8. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Hi guys . The Ohio was great . Going to figure up tonight how many miles we traveled on the river . Just want to pass this along . I have track mount rod holders in my boat . There is a right way to mount them . I almost learned that the hard way . You want to mount them so that when your fishing rod has tension on it . That it is tightening on the bolt . ( lefty loosey / righty tighty ) . With a big cat rod 7'6" or an 8 footer , 80 lb braid and a 60lb mono leader . It will break the bolt loose . I was floating and hit a snag . The pole doubled over and the bolt broke loose . Just lucky I was right there . That would have been pole number 2 in the drink . LUCKY . First picture is the right way . Second one , say bye bye to your favorite cat pole . The leverage of the length of your fishing rod will break the bolt loose . 20190819_164409.jpg 20190819_164250.jpg

9. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Figured up the miles we traveled on the river . Looks like 163. 3 miles . Suzuki ran great and I still have over a quarter tank of gas left out of 43 gallons .

twaskom and D schuerenberg like this.
  10. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    While I was at the Brandenburg ramp , I could see across to the Indiana side . They are building a boat ramp over there . The concrete is already in . I looked on Google maps and you can see , there looks to be a parking area they are building also . If it is a new ramp , I hope they have a dock as nice as the one on the Kentucky side . I should have stopped and talked to the construction workers when I was there . Those are old satellite pictures because the concrete ramp is already in . Screenshot_20190820-140904_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20190820-140831_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20190820-140814_Maps.jpg

11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    That would be nice. Being on the inside of the river bend the current should be a little less although I didn't ever see it really strong on the KY side. One thing I always liked about the KY ramp was because it is in a city park, the local PD goes thru on occasion and on the back side of the concession stand at the East end of the parking area are open restrooms. Not quite like the Holiday Inn but it beats most trees I have leaned against.

Ed Dutton likes this.
  12. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    That's for sure . When I was there the PD was through a couple of times . It is definitely a nice ramp and is very well lit up .

13. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    I saw the ramp at New Amsterdam . I don't think I could put in there .

14. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Reference post #959, yes the barges do look bigger when they cruse by at less than 100 yards while you are on the river with them. Having said that, we bought our place on the Ohio in 1996 and after a couple of years they still seemed big but not nearly as intimidating. I still give them all the room they want and pay super close attention to the size of the wake they are throwing and make preparations for when they reach me. It does still amaze me how something that big, producing that much H.P. can be so stealthy in the night though.

twaskom and Ed Dutton like this.
  15. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    The only times I have had any issues is during late summer, Brandenburg does a Civil War Reenactment that takes up a good part of the City Park, including all the parking spots. I can't remember the exact dates for it but there will be tents everywhere with Blue and Gray seeming to be the clothes for the period.

That is a good time to launch at the new ramp or at Leavenworth (Blue River) Ramp. Wish they had a floating dock too.

Brandenburg ramp gets pulled out in the Fall and put back in the Spring but I don't know the dates. I did call the Brandenburg Mayor once to try to find out. He was helpful.

Haha, Jay is right. they can be intimidating. I am still trying to figure out which ones upset the pool the most. Seems to be the ones heading upriver and pushing heavy loads. Their backwash can sure upset the pool for a while. With my slightly modified V I just easy way back on the throttle and let things settle. Sometimes it takes a good while though.

I always worry more about snoozing while fishing. I think that is why their air horns are so loud. I think my wife called them and told them I am hard to wake up sometimes. But like I mentioned earlier, I will wake up if there is a really loud noise and just a little leakage.

Image 1-27-19 at 2.50 PM.jpg

16. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Ive enjoyed your trip Ed thanks for sharing! We are making our maiden trip down there the 7th weather permitting. Probably scout and mark more than fish but at least test everything out so we will be ready to go back for a solid fishing trip.
    I’m planning to put in at the Charleston ramp and look at that area...

twaskom and Ed Dutton like this.
  17. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Have fun . Well that won't be a problem . The river and the scenery are spectacular .

Jesus Saves and twaskom like this.
  18. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Your right there I think Ed. It is just dirt and sand I think which might be fine for small/light boats but not the big heavier ones. And they don't have a dock either. I haven't decided if I will just put the nose up on the beach or try to rig a way to moor the boat just off the bank. With my luck I would have to go get it at the Carrolton Dam. That would put a dent in my fishing time.

Jesus Saves likes this.
  19. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    I made sure we stayed far out of the sail line . I was working on one of my poles . Looked down river to check things out . It was totally clear . Working on the pole and I look up , there is a barge that has come completely around the bend in the river . It was probably 300 yards away . Even though we were totally out of it's way , that really got my attention . How could something that big just appear out of no where . The wind was blowing just right and you really didn't here it until it was a hundred yards away .

20. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    I'm with you on that . I have the same plan . Just nose my boat in and use my anchor rope to tie off . I just might be sleeping in my boat anyway . Let's make sure they don't make it to Cannelton without us . lol .

twaskom likes this.