Hoosier wanting to fish the Ohio river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Ed Dutton, Dec 29, 2018.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    How is Ed doing???? Hope you were able to find a few.

2. Ed Dutton

Ed Dutton Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    I got about 8 bluegills . I am on the Ohio right now . Drove the boat to New Amsterdam . Fished at Buck Creek and only got one bite . Now I'm at Salt River . Just threw out the anchor . Going to spend the night here . Man this river is so beautiful . 20190816_143553.jpg 20190816_143739.jpg 20190816_195536.jpg 20190816_195457.jpg 20190816_195506.jpg 20190816_195529.jpg

3. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Yes it is. Now remember you can not fish the Salt if you do not have a KY license. Haha. Don't want to have to drive down and bail you and buddy out.

Ed Dutton likes this.
  4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ed,
    Are you up yet?
    If you do have a KY license, Salt Creek can hold some shad at sun-up.

...W

typer181 and twaskom like this.
  5. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Well I'm not having much luck with the catfish . River water temperature is 84° . It's like lake water . Was a bunch of guys fishing from the bank . Talked to them , they're not having any luck either . So then my pole just bends straight down . My heart jumped out of my chest . Was like watching a Steve Douglas video . I said , man this thing has some shoulders on him . LOL .This is my 6'6 bass rig with 30 lb braid with a Abu Garcia bait caster . I'm fighting this fish and thinking , it's going to get in all my other lines . He swims to the side of my boat , down river . So now the fight is on . I get him up to the boat . I say , what the heck is it . He had hooked himself right in the dorsal fin . So he fought like crazy . It was a good sized spoonbill . Oh and the battery on my phone was dead so I couldn't take a picture . Luckily for you guys I brought the phone charger . lol . The flash wouldn't work , so I used my lantern . Man that was fun . It's now 6:30 am and me and Buster just woke up . Sun is starting to come up and I'm going to fire up the grill and cook sausage ( maybe steak )and eggs on the boat . Slept on the boat , and slept like a baby . Except when the trains went over the bridge behind us . Oh by the way that fish was really happy when I turned him loose . I'm strictly catch and release . 20190817_060351.jpg 20190817_060028.jpg

typer181, SHOWME, metalman and 4 others like this.
  6. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    We were not in the Salt , just at the mouth of it . Still on the Ohio . Man this place is beautiful . I think me and Buster are heading for Blue river and check it out . Staying all night Saturday too . I would never leave if I didn't have too . Hey TomCat and all you other guys . Thank you all for all the information that you gave me . It was invaluable for a first timer on the BIG "O" . I got my feet wet and I have so much to learn . Thanks Guys . 20190817_063854.jpg 20190817_064646.jpg

7. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Oh by the way TomCat . I remember you and Eric talking about fog . Up river the sun is coming up . Down river , can't see much of anything . Fog is thick . That's ok , breakfast is cooking . Oh I had a couple of those LED bobber lights left over . Put them on the bimini top leg poles . They were just right for nightlights and the batteries they say will last 150 hours . They worked all night . 20190817_063854.jpg 20190817_065035.jpg 20190817_065743.jpg

typer181, SHOWME, metalman and 4 others like this.
  8. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Congrats on that spoonbill thats pretty neat!! Sounds like a great night out Ed!

twaskom likes this.
  9. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    So far we have traveled about 100 miles on the river . Still have over 5/8 of a tank of gas left . That Suzuki 250 SS is a nice engine .

typer181 and twaskom like this.
  10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Sure are some great pictures Ed. Glad you tackled with a fish. And one that I have never caught too. He had some size to him.

Are you seeing many barges running the river? Without a lot of rain lately the river has to be running very slow. I prefer a little current but, you get what you get.

Are you trying any drift fishing or just anchor fishing? Mussel beds can be good this time of year but may be difficult to find.

Steak and Eggs!!!!!!! Sure beats my Vienna sausage and a Pop Tart.

Jesus Saves and Ed Dutton like this.
  11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Good rain with a little wind coming thru central Indiana bringing us some much needed rain. The Ohio River area is not effected by this and looks to be in clear weather the entire day.

12. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Wow , I love this place . I'm at Blue river . The boat ramp just got crazy . Like 20 boats put in at 11 . They all must have known each other . They all gathered in the middle of the river . Then all took off heading towards Brandenburg . Man that is a nice ramp and dock . I just been fishing on the bottom and used one of my bobbers last night . Yea me and Buster did have steak and eggs cooked on the boat . We just might have to take a nap . Going to look for a shady spot . lol . I have tried bluegills , cut skipjack , nightcrawlers , chicken liver and shrimp . Everything but a stick of dynamite ..... hahahaha . Had a few nibbles and that's it , except for the spoonbill . That dude gave a good fight . The water is so warm that he was warm when I took him out . I marked the floor with a ink pin because I didn't have a tape measure . Will measure it when I get home . Was the biggest fish I ever caught . Fishing is really slow , but who cares . I'M ON THE OHIO .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Jesus Saves, SHOWME, metalman and 2 others like this.
  13. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Ed for shade, you can idle up into Indian creek. Things can change but I have always been able to idle up it a ways and find shade. Just raise your motor as much as you can and you should do fine. I have seen bass boats haul //// out of there so it might interrupt your nap. Indian Creek is just down river from New Amsterdam on the same side.

Are you saying that there is a dock at the Blue River ramp? I have not seen that before.

Ed Dutton likes this.
  14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ed,
    Drifting is you friend; give it a shot. Baits 3-4 feet off bottom.

...W

D schuerenberg, Ed Dutton and twaskom like this.
  15. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Ed, I have enjoyed the photos of you boat in the progress of becoming your dream cat catcher. I appears to me, and I am no expert, that you can design and fabricate anything short of a space shuttle.

typer181 and Ed Dutton like this.
  16. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    No . Sorry about that . The dock is at Brandenburg . That is a really nice place to put in . It's too bad Blue river ramp doesn't have a dock . There were a lot of boats putting in there today . Some really nice boats .

twaskom likes this.
  17. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Thank you Jay . I hope you are doing fine .

twaskom likes this.
  18. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    I got a lot of boat time on the river . From Brandenburg to Salt River to a little past Schooner point and everywhere in between . Me and Buster did some traveling on the river . Over a hundred and fifty miles all together . Thanks to all you guys on here . All the info you gave me , I used it all . THANK YOU . Was a very successful fishing trip . Can't wait for next time .

typer181, twaskom and D schuerenberg like this.
  19. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Oh by the way . Yep those barges are big . Really big when you're on the water with them . 20190817_232732.jpg

D schuerenberg and twaskom like this.
  20. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Measured the mark I put on my floor for the Spoonbill . It's was 51 3/4 inches long . I knew he was over 4 feet long . In between rod lockers it's 63 1/4 inches . Might not be a catfish but it's the biggest ugliest fish I ever caught . So ugly he's kinda cute . lol . That's another thing you have to love about river fishing . You never know what you're going to catch . 20190817_060351.jpg