Hoosier wanting to fish the Ohio river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Ed Dutton, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Ed Dutton

Ed Dutton Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Hello to all . I'm new on here and looking to stretch my line this spring . Haven't done much fishing since about 1998 . Back then it was me and my dad and we did mostly bass fishing . Well this year my son got me back into fishing ( catfishing ) . So I bought a boat and I want to go on the Ohio river . I live in Stockwell , Indiana just south of Lafayette . I'm looking for information as where is a good place to put in on the river , bait and safety Image-9.jpg Image-9.jpg . Any and all information from good ole river rats is highly appreciated . Thanks in advance .

2. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Also wanting to know where , how and when to catch skipjack .

3. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Bought my boat from Outdoor World in Washington Indiana . Suppose to get it in February . Can't wait for that .

4. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Back in 85 I had a Bass Tracker 1710 with a Mercury 150 Black Max . Did a lot of fishing out of that boat . Like I said we did mostly bass fishing . I loved the Wabash and I used to run it on a regular basis . We put in at Pump House curve West Lafayette or Davis Ferry . Mostly fished from the railroad bridge downtown up to River Junction . I could go a little ways up the Tippy but just at an idle and not very far .

5. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Welcome to the USCA Ed! I think a big rod rack on that Yamaha would look great! LOL!

What kind of boat did you buy?

6. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Hey welcome aboard, glad to have another Hoosier on! I've only been on the Ohio once so I wont be able to help you there. Alot of good people and information here so I'm sure someone will chime in.

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Good news about skips... they run in winter and early spring so you have time to get ready.
    You're going to have to do some driving if you want to catch enough for the season IMO. You can catch them at many of the dams on the Ohio, but I have had my best luck at the Cumberland City power plant and at Kentucky Lake Dam. They are thick at Cumberland when the plant is making a bunch of power because of cold weather and the hot water discharge gets loaded with them. Kentucky Dam gets started in late March/early April and cast last through May.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Ed Dutton and twaskom like this.
  8. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Thank you guy's . Man I'm really itching to get on the Ohio and take a trip to Lake Wheeler Alabama . I might not catch much but I don't care . I just love fishing and being on the water with family , friends and other great fishermen who love the outdoors .

9. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    20180712_220611.jpg 20180712_221010.jpg You mean like this one . LOL ... I bought a SeaArk ProCat 240 with a Mercury Pro XS250 V8 . Oh it has a cat rack . lol

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    typer181 likes this.
  10. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Hey buddy welcome to the site. Its funny i was actually reading up on lafayette posts earlier and planning my next trip there this spring. One thing i learned was johnny cash once stopped and fished a spot on the wabash while passing through lafayette. He wrote a song about it too. If you ever make it to lawrenceburg indiana there is a public boat ramp at tanners creek that takes you right out on the ohio. I plan on getting out there this summer myself on a ten foot jon boat. If you see me struggling against the current oh well maybe ill get lucky and a huge fish pulls me to shore.

11. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
  12. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    20180712_221010.jpg
    Thank you . Don't know if you saw the picture . The Yamaha does have rod holders . Can run shallow water and get you to your spot in a hurry at 60mph . Has a 43 gallon fuel tank for a reason . It loves GAS and it don't have a livewell . But it's fun .

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Lawrenceburg , I know that place . Raced sprint cars there a few times .

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  14. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    HAHAHAHA . Hey I like that song . Thank you . I hope to see you fishing .

15. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon

Thats awesome Matt, I didn't know about this song! He even mentions flatheads!

16. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Looks like this site is the right place to be . Good people with great knowledge , and not just about catfishing . There is hope for mankind after all . LOL

17. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi Ed, welcome to the USCA forum. It sounds like you have a top notch catfish boat coming. As far as good places to launch on the Ohio, you will find that there are several. I live due south of you, just south of I-70. I have used three ramps on the Ohio that are in good condition. First is on the south west side of Evansville, In. If you have google earth, look for "Dogtown". The ramp is on the south end of a river island. There is a $6 per day charge for using this ramp but in the summer it has good parking, a double or wider ramp and a nice dock to tie up to. You would take the new section of I-69 down. Have a full tank, not many stations along there yet

The second is a free ramp at Leavenworth, IN. The best ramp is just east of town. Good double wide ramp with blacktop parking lot. No dock and this place is somewhat remote but I have never had any problems.

The third place is also a free ramp at Brandenburg, KY. It is between Louisville and Leavenworth. Good single wide ramp that is in the town park. Good parking, public restrooms and no security problems. It also has a good dock during the summer. They do have a civil war reenactment once a year and some soccer games but I have always been able to park. Since you are in Brandenburg, there are the typical fact food places close.

I am sure there are many more but these are the ones I have used.

tight lines

Ed Dutton likes this.
  18. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Second thought, To best present your boat that is for sale, go to the top left and click on forum. Then go to the third title down, "Buy & Sell....... Open it and read the first thread which lists the forum rules. Then you can start your own thread and describe your boat that is for sale, add pictures and so on. One of the requirements on the forum is, if you list something, you have to list a price. Doesn't have to be the final price but it is a starting point.

Good luck, looks like a nice boat.

Ed Dutton and MattTheFlatCatKid like this.
  19. Ed Dutton

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Thank you . That is awsome information . I have been looking a Leavenworth on the map . I don't know why but that place has my attention . I am really looking forward to getting on the Ohio . If the fishing is good , I don't mind the drive .

20. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Ed, typer181, (Eric) gave you the best info on getting skip. It is a long drive but you can catch a years supply of bait in a day. Of course fishing is fishing where there are no guarantees. Cumberland City, TN has a power plant releasing hot water into the Cumberland River. When the time is right you can catch your limit which is 100 per day.

IMG_1147 2.jpg

That is usually in Jan, Feb or early March.

Then there is KY Lake and Barkley Lake dams. The skip get there in their migration usually Apr, May and early June. The Ky limit is 500 per day.

Sometime you can get a heads up on here. Other tome they are as quite as church mice.

Both places are generally bank fishing. Look up Steve Douglas on youtube and find his video on catching and also how to preserve your catch and prepare it for freezing.

tight lines

prlwng, Ed Dutton and typer181 like this.