Hoopnets - What are the impacts on catfish?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by JimF, Feb 12, 2006.

1. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me the impact hoopnets have on the IL river. I know of one guy that sells fish to all the fine eating places around here. I hear tell that he sells 200 lbs of catfish fillets to one place alone.I wish there was something that could be done to stop this. If it was to stop, the IL river would be much better fishery. I have no problem with buffalo, carp and bighead carp, but the over harvest of catfish sould be stoped. During the spawn, one hoopnet can easily produce 1000 lbs of catfish. To me this can not go on!!

What do you think?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with you, commercial fishing in the united states should be banned...I dont care if the fishermen are out of jobs, they can go get another one.

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    fish are a public resource, just like deer & turkey, I can't kill them and sell them for any amount of money. how do we stop this?

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The only way these people will stop is if the catfish is made a gamefish. Taking game fish by net in almost every state is ilegal. But you know and I know that that will not happen until we get someone to lobby for US in the Whitehouse.
    The commercial fishermen always have an excuse as to why or how they are not hurting the fishery. But the people in washington are lucky to get out and fish for bluegill, so what do they know. I am sure that a couple of them will chime in on this thread shortly and try to tell you that they are doing a good thing. But don't be fooled by the smoke they are blowing. They are good at it. They will always come up with a bunch of statistics that favor their cause to keep them in business.
    I say go out and get a regular job like everyone else does.

5. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    just across the mississippi river in MO, they can not do this, in fact there is a limit of 7 catfish per day. I wish we had that here. If all you could keep is 7........ I guess I wouldn't care how you took them( rod & reel, bank pole, trout line, bow fish )as long as you didn't sell them. As far as I am concerned catfish are gamefish and should be treated as such. This forum could do something about it. It would take someone smarter than me, but some sort of e-mail letter writing campain. there are a lot of members on here, that could flood their e-mail boxes.

6. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

sorry but i will play devils advocate one this one. if commercial fishing is banned in the u.s. the price of fish will go sky high and those of us that are not fortunate enough or just plain not able to go out to the water and catch a fish will not be able to afford to eat it at all. i do use a hoop net from time to time but have never kept a cat out of one only the big head carp to give to a friend who is not able to go out and catch them for his annual family reunion .. i do agree catfish should be a game fish and should not be taken in any form of net

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Up in MN they are pretty tight with the regs on Catfish compared to Other parts of the Country. As well as other fishing species.
    Limit of 5 Cats
    only 1 over 24 inches
    only 2 out of the 5 can be flatheads.

I think that we will see a movement to better concervation nation wide but I do agree with one of the earlier posts (JIM F). That this forum might be able to generate enough momementum to initiate a change.
    JMHO.
    Larry

8. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    good I hope it does go sky high, then these people can start fish farms and make a living doing that. I think that supermarkets around here sell only farm raised catfish anyway. $4.99 a lb for fillets, thats not that bad.

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can't reproduce it here in it's entirety, but I interviewed IL commercial fisheries chief Rob Maher about two years ago for an article. He refers to the commercial guys as "my constituents"; when I asked about a possible closed wintering season to protect wintering fish he downplayed the idea, but confirmed "the commercial catches during the winter are impressive."

He gave me a long explanation about how there's fewer commercial guys making a go of it, and they sell less licenses per year... it's dwindling down. Later on, I asked about the number of net tags or device tags, and he confirmed "there are about the same number of devices being used." So there are less commercial fishing operations, but like farmers many of the smaller operators are dropping out, and more and more big operations are doing it. I'm just reporting what I was told....

Obviously, Illinois has no interest in changing things anytime soon by granting the catfish "game fish" status. They also only tend to protect stocked fish populations, which is why catfish only get site specific regulations in Illinois (mostly lakes and reservoirs.) The river catfish populations are "self sustaining." And consider that in Illinois, the catfish may be the most popular sport fish. If not, they're a close second.

I'm sure commerical fishing is very, very hard work. But, who is eating these fish full of PCBs from the Illinois river anyhow? Haven't they read the fish consumption advisories? I wonder if they're not exported. Most of the resturant and grocery fish come from fish farms, don't they?

enough ranting... I have seen guys on the Rock river running hoop nets, and they were taking carp so more power to them for that!

Shawn

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The fish you buy at the supermarket are not and should not ever be from the river systems to much lead and mercury in them for that. They are taking them for dog and cat food, not to mention the organic fertilizer they make out of them. Most of the bigger fish are sold to Pa* L***S as entertainment for people that don't know how to catch them in the wild.

11. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

good point dreadnaught and jimf i did not even think about farm raised fish like i said only playing devils advocate no harm no foul i hope

12. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I know a guy that does it here on the IL, He sells to resturants, He told me that one resturant buys 200lbs of catfish fillets every week. It does not matter if they or full of pcbs. There is no warnings on the menu. people don't know where it comes from. Maybe that is where we should start. Get the gov to make resturants & supermarkets post warnings about where the fish come from.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is a great Idea, Brother!!

14. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I tried to research the issue of commercial catfish for food last year, and it was pretty involved... if I remember right

Sale of fish caught commercially is regulated by United States Department of Agriculture.

The fish sampling and fish consumption advisiories are put out by the state Department of Natural Resources... I don't know, maybe the FDA is involved somewhere in all this too...

Seems to be some disconnect to me... maybe it's like before 9/11 where the FBI and CIA weren't sharing any information. I guess we should all start asking the resturants where the fish came from!

Shawn

15. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    The comercial fisherman are the ones that donate the fish for testing. DNR tells them the size they need for testing.The illinois rivers has really improved in the last 30 years.
    If comercial fishing was outlawed where would some of the pole and line guys buy fish to brag about to there friends and family.This happens alot more than you think.

16. elmer

elmer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess the dishonest would either become a little more honest about their catch.....................or quiet;)

A win win situation.:D

The original question was......
    The impact of comercial harvesters on the Illinois river is Obviously FAR fewer fish, bigger fish, left for sporstman to enjoy doing battle with.

Can anybody put an FACTUAL figure on the number of fish, or pounds of fish taken by hoopnets and the like?

Does anybody think that as a group, commercial fisherman are going to report EVERY dollar they recieved for EVERY fish they trapped than sold or "traded" away? Even to the lowly pole angler that comes up empty handed after spending a day fishing the same area just raped by a set of hoopnets?

Not in our lifetime..... Like Wendell hints......'fisherman' LOVE to tell stories.

17. elmer

elmer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shawn,
    In the research you did, were you able to come up with any estimates the IDNR might have provided as to the number of fish or pounds of fish we as taxpayers and sportsman donated to the commercial 'fishermans' inventory?

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    no... I think they do creel surveys from time to time, but like sportfishing creel surveys the information given may not be accurate.

Shawn

19. elmer

elmer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hmmmmmmmm.....

More specifically

Armed with the information submitted by commercial harvesters as required BY LAW, I would think a "fairly accurate" number could be provided by the DNR as to what is being taken and sold.

If they "cant" provide one, I believe the freedom of information act could be used to take a peek of the records they OBVIOUSLY, MUST keep.

Of course, and again, the numbers provided would only be as accurate as the honesty of those providing the numbers. :crying:

20. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    The same commercial fisherman( that I know) has taken many many catfish over 40lbs & many over 60lbs. These are the fish that need to pass down their genes. This sinseless slaughter of these larger fish must be stopped. He also keeps every flathead he catches, does not matter if it is 2lbs or 70lbs, they are sold to resturants. There should be a limit for all fisherman, like 1 catfish over 27" per day and only 5 cats total per day.