hoopnets - How do you use them?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tha_fishin_thang, Jan 21, 2006.

1. tha_fishin_thang

tha_fishin_thang New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    does any one know a good bait to put into hoopnets I have a ten footer and tried last year but caught nothing

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

hoopnets have long since made illegal in kansas at one time they where every where when comm. fishing was leagal.i wish it would come back.....anyways alot of guys used to make bait bags and would put all kinds of stuff in it from alot of shad.to female fish.. alot of soybeans where used aso, i figure you could use all kinds of things to get them in any thing you would use for bait on a pole would work, heck a jar of bj with holes in the lid would be a sure fisre bet to get blues and channles in

3. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    i know im probably gonna sound like an idiot but what is a hoop net?

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A hoop net is what commercail fishermen use to harvest alot of catfish, I am thankfull they are illegal in alot of areas.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    after checking if its legal in your area, try out some baits that last a good while, cheese (catfish Connections has a tub of scraps for fairly cheap for the amount you get), liver, i would even go so far as to say try the carcasses from fish you've caught and filleted... can't hurt right?

also if you don't catch anything for a while, dispite using those baits, FIND A NEW SPOT FOR THE HOOP NET... the fish aren't there... you may just want to keep trying different spots till you find one that works with the one bait you like.

6. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    You don't bait hoopnets. Unless they are spawning then you use a sow full of eggs.If you bait with cheese,beans or anything else you will catch everything but catfish.Placement of the net is the key to catching cats.Set them where they move they just swim into the nets.If you know a commercial fisherman ask to ride along for afew days.This will teach you more than 10 years of trial and error.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Fished them& made them.
    WE always baited our and lots of times would get 100+ lbs of catfish out of each one.
    WE would take a 14" innertube and cut it into a piece 12" long then take a hole punch and a block of wood. Punch 1/4" holes in a row spacing them out with 1/2" between each. Then move up 1" and do it all over again. Along the bottom and top punch a row around 1/2" from the top and bottom. Take the ones in the bottom and run a string through all of them in and out into the next hole. Tie it off to shut that end off.
    Then the top run a string all around the bait bag and leave about 2 ft of extra line. Then tie the ends together. That will allow you to draw the sting up and close that end off take the string and turn through the back end of the net and warp it around the line you run to the anchor and double warp the string from the bait bag.
    WE filled the bait bag up with bad cheese. And it stinks like mad.
    Also we used these bait bags and cheese in hoopnets for over 75 years and it works.

Also are you trying to fish it in a pond or river?
    Pete

8. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    I recently aquired some hoop nets and live on the Mississippi. I would like any information on the use, upkeep, etc. that anyone could provide. I've never had a chance to use them before. Thanks.

9. Shannon Self

Shannon Self New Member

State:
    la
    The best time to use a hoopnet is in the pre spawn and the post spawn. They work best in 12-4 feet of water.I use compressed soybean&cheese chips. You can buy them at www.fishnetco.com