Hoopeston IL

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bwhupp, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Anyone live around there? I have a job interview for teaching either kindergarten or first grade.. some 4 hour drive from where I live now to make a petty 29 grand a year. But hopefully it can open up more doors for me in teaching career. Would be living alone and know nobody. Good thing I am not a needy individual or I would be crying for being so broke. LOL

2. pitman81

pitman81 New Member

State:
    champaign,
    i live about 30 to 40 minutes away in champaign

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    prob kinda close to clinton lake. good luck to you if you do go there. just keep reminding them that southern illinois is better:wink:

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am freaking out looking at Hoopeston website.. says only has Dialup internet :crazy:

I am thinking that is a deal breaker to me. No way can I go back to that crap! No way!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian what happened to your present teaching job? I was not aware of any change. Also it will be rough doing your own cooking and washing.:wink:

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Problem is Mickey, I am actually an aide and they get paid 1/3 of what a teacher make.. which is pathetic as it is. I'll take my long drive to Hoopeston and see what they have to say and if they offer me a job. It looks like Lake Vermillion is close to it, so at least I won't die of lack of fishing opportunities.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    As far as trophy catfishing is concerned, theres not much there at all. You have Lake Vermilion at Danville, Vermilion Middlefork river (shallow river) and Kickapoo state park strip mines near Danville also. All have channel cats, Lake Vermilion has some flatheads but never heard of anything big come out of it. The strip mines have good size channel cats. Look up BOC brother "Physcomekanik", he can help you out on where to go.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Dang BW, ya better take a few pictures of things like TREES and HILLS when ya become a northerner, you might forget what reality is, I know I did for the 9 years when I worked up at Pontiac, LMAO!!!! and CLINTON Lake would be your BEST bet for any good fishing, power Plant Lake, your favorite :wink:

I just can't stop LMAO, (Sorry) not in a bad way, but man the Kindergartners are gonna FREAK out when they come to school and see the Green Giant at the desk, :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

Ya know there was an add a while back in the Hillsboro paper for some teachers for there schools and over in Nokomis, It has been a few months back since I seen the add but might be worth a google or something.......

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Already sent my stuff to Hillsboro. I have about 50 applications out there. The teaching industry is flooded with unemployed teachers. It is amazing to even get a damn interview. Consider for 1 job, there are roughly 150-300 applicants. Now try and be the one selected for an interview!

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thinking long and hard about the move and checking out the city... looks like it is dying if not dead already. Not too stable of a work environment in my opinion. Low classroom numbers.. means easy consolidation and weeding out new teachers. Think I am going to have to pass on the interview at this time. Thanks for all the pointers fellas. Appreciate it. Think SIUE is about to get me going for my Masters in Special Education. Try that avenue. Maybe the new grants for education will help me out.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well that sounds like just as good a plan, maybe a better plan. Good Luck with it!

12. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    yeah...and hey brian....siue has a wonderful lake full of largemouth and kitties right there on campus.....one of the most overlooked holes around madison county if you ask me...

13. cjuvinall

cjuvinall New Member

State:
    georgetown illinois
    WOLFMAN shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats my neck of the woods, giving away all the spots, just kidding. Lake vermillion is pretty good, really the best bait there that i have found is cut bait, have yet to try secret 7 out there. bwhupp pm me when you get settled in and ready to fish, be more than happy to show ya some spots. There is a couple other nice spots a little farther south from danville, you got the georgetown dam, paris lake but that has alot of bullheads and a few more. like i said when your ready to hit the water just shoot me a pm.

14. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yelp, Twin Lakes in Paris is full of yellow belly/bullheads. There are some really nice channels in the lake. The best way to fish the lake is to use large chunks of cut bait or small whole dead fish. As long as your bait is bigger then the yellow bellies mouth they seem to bother you less. If you do get down to my neck of the woods your best bet is to go a head and drive a little more and hit the Wabash river. There is a boat ramp there at the Darwin ferry. Be careful the river is shallow and there are several fallen trees sitting in the middle of the river. If your bank fishing let me know. We farm just a few miles north of the ferry and own a good stretch of the river bank.