Hoop nets

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Dog-dog, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dog-dog

Dog-dog New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Do you now r have you fished hoop nets? do you bait them? Is one time of the years better than others? :confused2::confused2:

I am trying to see what i am doing wrong, any help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    My dad used to run nets when I was a kid. Some he baited and some he didn't. He would bait some with rotten cheese, others he would put down stream from a tree top. Bait with cheese for channel cats, no bait down stream from structure = flatheads. He wouldn't put them out when the water was really high because of trees and logs going down stream tearing the nets up, but other than that he fished them till it got cold. Hope this helps.:big_smile:

3. Dog-dog

Dog-dog New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yes this is helpful!!!! Do you have any information on fishing a river with little current except when it rains hard? Can not seem to catch consistently. Also seem to catch the 10 to 15" ones. I want to catch bigger ones what you think???

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Get a good net grab if ya don't have one. And always try to catch the net at it's mouth or 1'st hoop. It takes current to keep them standing up too. Drop the anchor and let the net out until it's tight, drop it and by all means run it regular, turtles die and will float it up. memphis net and twine sells the bait for them. I haven't net fished in several years and anymore don't have a desire too. Even where they are legal you can wipe a place out with them. I like to fish too much to see that.Anyway, ya ask and this is how we always fished them.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hoop nets are designed for swift current; the current is what holds them upright and in position. High water condition in a river is ideal; the nets cause a break in the current downstream and fish, like every other living critter on this planet, will fall right into this path of least resistance and swim into the net. Under these conditions, bait is not necessary.

Many years ago I bought a commercial license (75.00) just so I could legally 'dabble' with a hoop net. I didn't catch many fish (I didn't have an experienced teacher to show me the ropes), but I did learn some things that year that would have been applied had I continued on the next year. Where I'm at, I wouldn't even fool with a hoop net until the river gets up, then I'd drop it right down into the channel anchored with a car motor head or couple of concrete blocks. And yes, you must have a net grab to raise the net (I still use my grab for trotlining, very useful item).

I'll stick to trot & limb lining for my alternative fishing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  6. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We usually fished our hoops with wings, ie: netting off the sides to funnel fish in. Bait helps at times and we baited some, some we didnt. Mainly cornmeal, frozen chickenblood, dogfood, spoiled grain or cheese etc. We anchored each end whether there was current or not. Wings help stabilize the whole set up too once theyre staked out. Check your regs n rules really close. Our net grabber was 3 old hay type hooks welded together like an oversized treble hook. It was probably over 50 years old as gramps commercial fished in the early 1900's and we still used it in the 80's. Its retired now. Some like metal oversize boat type anchors on a hoop net. We had some 3' across. Some we staked on each end with 6-12' too seasoned bankpoles, some we used cinder blocks. 1000 ways to do it.