hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flathead kid, May 26, 2008.

1. flathead kid

flathead kid New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey what size kahle hooks do yall use for flatheads. Also what other hooks do yall prefer? any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    It depends on what size of bait you are useing. I generally use anything from a 5/o to a 7/o. They get too expensive for me any bigger than that.:smile2: I love kahle hooks and rarely use anything else. They are not for everyone, you just have to see what you are comfortable with.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use kahle hooks and love them. I go a little smaller than some, I use 3/0 to 5/0 depending on the size of the bait. Smallish sunfish get the 3/0 and good big old hand sized brim get the 5/0. I picked up some 6/0 to have in case of real big baits, but I haven't needed them yet.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    KAHLE HOOK'S AND CIRCLE SEA'S WORK FOR ME,JUST REMEMBER DO NOT SET THE HOOK ON THE CIRCLE HOOK'S YOU'LL PULL IT WRIGHT OUT OF THER MOUTH A CIRCLE HOOK IS SELF SETTING:0a26:

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    KYLE,

FORGOT TO WELCOME YOU TO THE BOC, SO WELCOME ABOARD AND BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE LIBRARY THERE IS A WHOLE LOT OF REAL GOOD INFORMATION THERE

6. OHriverRat

OHriverRat New Member

State:
    OHIO
    6/0 for bluegills and small bullheads:big_smile:

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Eagle Claw 8/0 to 10/0 King Kahle.

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I use everthing from 4/0 to 10/0. It all depends on the size of bait and cut or alive. If you put a 10/0 hook in a small blue gill it's not going to stay alive as long as it would if you used a smaller hook. But don't go to small. Just match the hook with the bait.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I used to subscribe to the big baits/big hooks theory, and still do. Sorta.

In the case of circles, where you depend on the fish to set the hook, smaller fish, or less agressive biters of any size, may not hit with enough force to cause larger hooks to penetrate.

If I start missing bites, the smaller hooks come out.