Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ga2oh, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've been having problems with my hookes releasing just as i reach for my fish. i've been useing gamakatsu wide gaps in size 3/0 & 4/0. is there a better hook i should try or am i just unlukcy as normal.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have been using gamu. hooks for a few years, i use j-style octupus 7-10/0 usually, i haven't had any problems with them, it may be the technique you are using setting the hook is all i can think of..they are some sharp suckers.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Try using a bigger hook size , such as 6/0 or larger. Also try OWNER hooks they are a litter sharper than gammys.:0a26:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I don't know what size fish you are missing but my guess would be you just need to set harder. Once you give the initial hookset and can feel the fish fighting on a tight line give the rod a couple more pumps to make sure the hook has found a home. The hardest place on a catfish to get a hook to set is either of the pads on the mouth, upper and lower. Its like setting a hook into concrete.

5. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Really not into the circle hook scene, so not sure how to respond however I do like to use a large hook with a hard hook set and a few extra pumps in the beginning...I use large bait and large hooks ...Go with the old saying bigger the bait bigger the fish...or something like that...lol:cool2:

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with Skip - but I like to add something, :worship:(and please don't take this the wrong way)

Have you ever thought that it could not be the Hooks at all?

What I mean is, when you reach down to grab the Fish, are you keeping the line tight to keep the pressure on him (or her) while you are doing so?
    +
    I would start using a net on them instead of reaching down to get them.

Believe me, you will land alot more fish. :wink:

:0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Great point Bert, one that I forgot . I guess I have taught myself over the years to always keep the line as tight as possible when a fish is near the boat or bank. Now its like second nature and I don't even think about it anymore. I'd bet more fish are lost near the net from slack lines than from any other cause. I don't care if its a gill or bass or catfish. If you give them an easy way off the hook by slacking up they will take advantage of you. I remember a 31 pounder two yrs ago that I fought up to the boat from directly underneath, as I grabbed his lower jaw and released the rod the hook just fell away, and left me holding this mad flathead thrashing around with my arm in its mouth lol. Always keep the pressure on till you have him in the net or you have a good hold on his jaw.

8. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would like to thank all of yall for the help. and the next thing i'm buying is a net..... yall helped me talk my wife into letting me buy one. thanks again.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Hope to hear you got one:0a18: in your next post.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Once you have felt the initial hook set with a circle. Don't be affraid to give it a good yank to insure the hook set.