Hooks

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by No luck, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Whisker Tickler

Whisker Tickler New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Jordan Grant
    for fishing a river this is my recommendation... use a bait shrimp if available is usually works well. Also I prefer a decent palm of my hand perch cut into 3 pieces a head, a body , and a tail (trash). personally I prefer team catfish hooks. they have the best hook up ratio in my experience an I appreciate the hybrid design. eagle claws are bad they just aren't ''good' IMO. I would also try doing what I call around friends a "pecker rig" (not the real name!) take you a 2-3 (depends of current) no slip wait followed by a bead, tie on a good swivel followed by a 12' leader line. put a rattle followed by a float approximately 3-4' above the hook and then a 5-0 circle hook. its basically a Carolina rig with a float/ rattle. I have caught fish without the float and rattle however have hood good luck since adding. here Is a diagram for what I do. car rig.png

2. Kzoo catman

Kzoo catman Active Member

State:
    michigan
    Name:
    jason
    I use 3/0 gamakatsu circles or team catfish double action.i use cutbait tho.if your using catfish nuggets the channel cats are probably to small to get hooked.also i like rod actions in medium power for channels like Uglystik catfish rods or Twc whisker whips.something with a nice soft tip.i save the Stiffer mh rods for flatheads.i dont own any heavy action rods.

Bobbycat likes this.

3. No luck

No luck Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Chuck
    Thanks guys

Flat Top likes this.
  4. flyfishingnut

flyfishingnut Active Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    Heath
    I hhaI haven't seen it, but will add that I had the same experience until I started tying them on with a Snell. My hookup percentage went way up with the Snell. However, I now use 5 and 8 depending on bait size, good tips above. If I'm going to be keeping them for the freezer, and am not drifting, and not expecting a trophy, will us J hook for the fun of setting the hook. Drifting or chance of a giant, its team catfish double action all the way.

Bobbycat and SteveMcK like this.
  5. Ryan89

Ryan89 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Ryan Depoister
    Here I use a 5/0 TC octopus for my eaters.

Bobbycat and SteveMcK like this.
  6. No luck

No luck Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Chuck
    Well I went today with some cut bluegill I caught.Never got a bite

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. Ryan89

Ryan89 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Ryan Depoister
    If your going for trophies, you will get skunked more then not.

8. No luck

No luck Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Chuck
    I fish to eat and have fun. I know there will be days like this. Just was hoping to be a little better

Bobbycat likes this.
  9. Ryan89

Ryan89 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Ryan Depoister
    Fishing for eaters? Downsize.

JByrd and Bobbycat like this.
  10. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    I also fish midsize blue cats to eat. Therefore, I use Kentucky rig, 2 midsize J hooks on short leaders, night crawlers or 1.5-2.0” cuts. Using some main line slack, I put one hook on the bottom and keep another one at 0.5-2’ above the bottom. It is the most successful rig for me.
    P.S. In shallow water, I use bobbers to suspend one hook above the bottom and keep one on the bottom.

11. No luck

No luck Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Chuck
    I’m trying to get away from stink bait.

12. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
    Bob do you tie the dropper loop as well?

13. Bobbycat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    Yes, Gabe, I tie short dropper loops. They allow easy hook changing if I switch to different baits. I usually use T knots to tie dropper loops.

14. BCT

BCT Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Chris
    I have similar setup for small cats (under 5 lbs) but I am using 2/0 circle hook. First hook is about .5' above the bottom, second hook is in different depth on different rods. I try to track which hooks that catch the fish to estimate where in the water column the fish are. I may change my setup if needed - I have several pre-tied rig with different depth ready to go.

15. No luck

No luck Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Chuck
    2 hooks sound interesting but if I threw 2 hooks in this wood infested river I would be hung up all time instead of half of the time

16. Bobbycat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    You can tie hooks directly to the main line, using palomar knots like in the bass drop shot rig. It will minimize the problem. Good luck.