Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by pk_powell, Aug 5, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok family I have one more post for ya all before saying "see ya Later". I received some king kat fishing hooks from Cabela's I really didn't know what size to get since where I fish well it's a big river with big fish!They sent me 15/0 hooks which to me seem too big!What's your opinion? Also I thought I would try some new weights and I wanted some that would hold in the current so I got 8 oz paramids,they also look huge. I was trying 6 oz on my saltwater rig and couldn't get it thrown out as far as I'd like it. Any replys will be helpful and appreciated until then good night and sweet dreams about catching the biggest one you've ever caught!!-----------Pat:big_smile:

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    15/0!?!?

And to think, I use 4/0 kahles for channels. :lol:
    Well, good look catchin the biggun of a lifetime.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thats a monster hook for sure. I have never used bigger than a 7/0 and have caught a couple of 60 plus pound cats, my biggest being 75. Your casting distance could be affected by your line diameter also the bigger the line the shorter the cast. This is true for both spinning and casting reels. That 8 oz prymid is giant. good luck I hope you do well with your new rigs.

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    10/0 is the biggest I have ever used....my favorites are 8/0 Octopus and 7/0 Kahles. 15/0 sounds WAY to big.

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    15/0, We are talking shark hooks now. The biggest I use are 10/0 and that is in the Mississippi. 8oz is the heviest sinkers in my box. Most of the time I get by with 5 oz. But when I'm trying for a record I use big bait and 8oz of lead in the Big River. I have an assortment from 3/0 to 10/0 in my box, but the 5/0 gets used the most.
    Jeff

6. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
  7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those King Kat hooks you got are also to thick, they are not all that "big" to me just way to thick.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now this is just the reason why I'm on the BOC.There are many things I have yet to learn about catfishing,and you all are educating me.I have loved to fish all my life for anything that will bite but my favorite has been the catfish.As far as line size is concerned I have powerpro braid on it. I have forgotten what the actual pound number is,but I know it's rated to 80 pound test.If ya get what I'm saying ,it's not 80 pound test but it's rated at that.
    I believe I'll go and do some more hook shopping and weight shopping in a smaller size. Sounds to me like 8 oz weight would be for when there has been a very heavy rain and the river is up and racing down stream. Thank you very much guys.Speaking of hooks there use to be a battery powered hook sharpener,do they still have them I've looked at Cabela's but their catalog doesn't show any. I figured maybe I could just sharpen up what I already have? What do ya all think?-----------Pat:roll_eyes:

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    PK...Berkley has a battery powered one that I use occassionally...you can see it on-line at BPS, Cabelas and Catfish Connection I think...but it doesn't work well with the really big hooks I don't think...I use a hook file on those to keep the points sharp.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circles hooks more than any other, I have caught 12" cats on up to larger cats with them.

11. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Those are my favorite hooks for flatheads. I just downsize to 4/0 when I go after some channels!!

12. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't use anything over 10/0. I also think you will find the hook sharpeners you mentioned at BPS, and Catfish Connection as stated above. I always use a file, and stone to sharpen dull hooks to a sticky point.

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    10/0 is as big hook as I use. I use one of those emery boards for finger nails to sharpen hooks, it works great and puts a finer point on then with a file.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    PK I use 10/o gammakatsu octopus hooks for all my flathead fishing. Its been almost ten yrs now I think. I use them more for the size of bait than fish catching ability. With 1 to 3 lb baitfish it gives me the gap between the hook point and the side of the bait so I have a chance to connect with the inside of a 40 plus pound flatheads mouth. You can catch a 40lb fish on a 1/o hook,and a small piece of cut bait. But you will see more action from big fish with a larger bait. I just got some of those Gamma big river bait hooks in 10/o and they are two sizes larger than a 10/o octopus, but at least I know if the only bait I can catch is a 3 pound carp I have a hook big enough to hold and cast him. I've caught lots in the 20 to 30 lb range on 8/o gamma's with small bluegills. So I'd say 10 is as big as you need to go in the future. For your casting problem I think you just need a longer rod, and one rated for 6 to 8 oz of weight or better. From the bank if you need to go out past 50 yrds you'll need a ten footer or so. I use a 7'6'' rod from both bank and boat but I don't cast more than 30 to 40 yrds. Mostly just 30 to 50 feet. Hope this helps.

15. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Biggest I use is 8/0 Kahle hooks on my juglines... You should be able to sell those 15/0 to some who noodles or to a offshore fisherman. How many do you have? and how much do you want for them?