hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigfatcat, Aug 29, 2005.

1. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    ok i was usng a treblehook a first a missing alot of hits so i just went out and got 2/0 oct in-line circle hooks i am getting alot more hookesets but they are getting off way to easy anyone know y this is happening

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

This may sound wierd, but take one of each of your hooks, and a potato roll(or a bisquit) something that won't be missed. cut a slit in the side, and push your treble hook in, and pull it out twords a side of the slit. Then do the same with your circle hook. What you will see is the circle hook will pull into the corner of the slit, and the treble hook will pull out more times than not. The circle hooks are designed to go into the corner of the mouth, with a minimal amount of effort on your part. All you have to do is let the rod set the hook. That means let the rod double over if need be to catch the fish. With other hooks, including trebles alot of times you have to set the hook. I told you this may sound wierd, but the above discription of how to see the hooks at work was what was discribed to me.

Or, I guess if your crazy, or have a high tolerance to pain, cup your thumb and finger in the shape of a Cats mouth and do the same as above.... :eek: :cursing: NO ON SECOND THOUGHT DON"T DO THAT!!!!

Ray

3. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    If you are missing a lot of fish while using the treble hooks, you might want to try to keep your bait about a foot above the bottom, so it is easier for the fish to pick up.

4. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

If you are using stink bait with the dip worms I found out that the treble hook that comes on the dip worms from most stores are too small. I always replace these small treble hooks with at least a #4 treble hook. Helps alot!

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hum! I agree with the last poster try use a treble with a bobber.

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    bigfat
    those circle hooks take a little bit of effort and restraint too.

what that means is when you see the line titen or the bobber going down
    only a gentle raiseing of the rod tip is required , too much too fast and your liable to miss the hookset .
    just a steady easy raiseing of the rod tip and it should hook itself.

the restraint i mentioned in the last part of the first sentence above refers
    to restraining your desire to yank like your gonna pull the cats teeth out!!!!!
    you can do that on other hooks but not the circle.

ive noticed that the kahles are kind of touchy to me too. i use them like the circles too.

good luck little man! :)

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    with those Circle hooks you want some good bank rod holders. DO NOT pick the rod up tell you know the fish is on. Even if the rock bends in half just sit there and watch it tell you KNOW he's on. My hook ups are way up this year useing just circles.

8. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i just leave it there since there suposed to set itself then i rell then when the kat gets in to the shallow water next to the bank i goes to the surface then it shakes its head and get lose

9. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    is 2/0 hook to small

10. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    2/0 isn't small for fish up to 20 lbs. or so. Heck, I use anything from a 2/0 to a #4 while fishing with dip baits and have caught fish up to 14 lbs. this summer with them. I will usually just lift the pole slightly or just start reeling to set the hook with Circles. About 70% of the fish or so will be hooked in the mouth, with the rest being either swallowed or hooked in their sides. God bless.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just got some 2/0 circles to fish with worms. Most the time I use 8/0 since I fish the river mostly with big baits. I also have found that circles with an offset to them is better. It keeps the bait from rehooking it's self when a fish grabs it.

12. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    im using these hooks

Attached Files:

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Looks like a nice sharp hook to me. It took me over a year to get use to circle hooks. Once I got it I got it. I have only seen one fish get off a circle hook. I don't know what happen but I think the current pulled him off the hook when he flopped. The kid that lost it don't fish much and I know the current of the missouri river was giving him a heck of a time fighting that 6 pound fish.

14. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Fatcat, by reading what you wrote,to me, it seems like you might be letting slack get in the line.
    Try letting that rod bend over, pick it up keeping tention in the line. As you reel it in, always keep the line tight. The olny problem I've had with circles is when the fish runs toward you.

15. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Octopus Circles like those need to have a snell knot tied to them to make them effective. You're hook-up ratio will be ALOT higher using the snell knot. God bless.

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    use at least a# 4 treble i was using a smaller treble switched up and this doubled my hookset also gamakatsu baitholder work well im currently testing gamakatus octopus and kahle to see which i like better

17. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    Use circle hooks....they are a great hook and set the hook for you

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have just started to catch a couple of cats using circle hooks. Had never used them and thought they weren't doing good. The last two cats I have caught, I have forced myself to stay away from the rods until I knew they were hooked. I have my poles sat at a 45-55 degree of the water, when they bend down, I know they are hooked. One pole is a 7' medium and the other a 7' med-heavy. I fish with a loose line and barrel sinkers in this setup.

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    One thing to remember no matter what style of hook is when fishing for catfish they are not hook shy. Make sure there is enough of the hook sticking out from the bait to latch in on the mouth of the fish. If you have doubts on what size to use, then go bigger. If you are missing fish then your hook is too small for the bait or not penetrated completely through the bait. If you are missing bait,then the fish is too small for the hook. LOL. Good luck.

20. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I use circle hooks exclusively. Usually 7/0 with a big ol' chunk of bait. 3-4 inch skipjack heads or steaks. I have had much success with them and don't think I will ever go back to regular "J" hooks. The advice given above is right. Let the fish/hook/rod do the work. When you are sure that the fish is there, pick up the rod and start reeling. You DO need to keep the line tight but don't jerk it. Personally, I think you are using too small of a hook. I have seen fish less than one pound get a 9/0 khale hook in its mouth. Trust me, the guys using 9/0 hooks are not using small pieces of bait. Keep trying the circles until you are sure they aren't your style. I have a lot of faith in them but each fisherman has his preference. Good luck!