Hooks?? Weight??

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Az_racer_75, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Az_racer_75

Az_racer_75 New Member

State:
    Arizon
    ok heres another question for a newby..... what size hooks are best to use and how much weight? also does anyone use a net to catch bait fish? and if so could you explain how that works?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Check out the castnet forum.:wink:

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    As far as weights I always use the smallest that I can get by with for anchor fishing , the current will determine how much you need.As for drifting I use 1 1/2 - 3 ounce.The hooks will be needed to match what you are using for bait.A good range from 3/0 -8/0 will get you by.Good luck and welcome to the BOC.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    For Flatheads and such, I usually use 7/0-10/0 Kahle Hooks..
    Depends on the size of bait..
    Weight,, usually 3-6 oz's in lakes,, Live bait needs enough to keep it where you cast it,, and in current,, enough to hold it as well.
    If I'm using a float, just enough weight to keep the bait from floating, or swimming to the top..

5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Ok, This is my opinion ONLY! I have been using Gamagatsu 10/0 Big river hooks which are HUGE! I don't care how big the bait is. I also use Owner 10/0 SSW with cutting point. These are without a doubt the sharpest hook period. They are so sharp, that they will stick you even if you barely touch the point. They are definitely sharper than Gamagatsu.
    Here is my advice. You want plenty of hook (the pointed side) exposed. To me you cannot have enough hook exposed. You have to remember that a five pound flathead can swallow a baseball if it wanted to. So you are not going to use a hook to big. You risk the catfish spitting your bait/hook when you go to small. At least if they spit it when you have a huge hook, it has a good chance of catching inside its mouth. I think many people forget how big a Flatheads mouth is, so they use smaller hooks than they should. Weights, in lakes I use 3 oz bank sinkers, that are Carolina rigged. Rivers, I use up to 16 oz of weight, some of the water I fish is tremendously fast. I also Carolina rig that, OR I will use a three-way swivel rig. This rig, I tie line to swivel, then a weight at the bottom 8-10 inches down from swivel, with mono (so it breaks off if you get stuck, and you keep your swivel, hook, and bait) Then a 18-24 inch liter with a hook. This rig works by keeping your bait off the bottom. This, to me, is the only rig to tie when fishing waterdogs, cause those little turds will bury, or crawl under a rock.
    Please go look at pictures of flathead mouths. They are huge and can suck down ANY hook you throw with EASE! Typically a flathead doesn't play with you bait, like a channel. They hit it like a freight train and keep on trucking usually. So to me, better oversized hook than undersized.
    FYI, go look at snagged's PB 36 pound Flathead, compared to that Kahle hook in its lip, that looks like at least a 10/0 Kahle. That hook is tiny compared to fishes mouth.
    Baitfish, I worm and hook for Bluegills. Carp, I chum the water with corn, and fish with smaller hook for them. I don't typically use throw nets.

6. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, waiting on that avatar change!!!!!

7. Az_racer_75

Az_racer_75 New Member

State:
    Arizon
    Rob, thanks alot for the info, how does rosie sound next friday and saturday?

8. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Offering me to go to Rosie, is like holding a piece of cake in front of a fat kid! I can't resist. You got a boat?

9. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Got the fat kid right!!:smile2:

10. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    LoL, yeah I forgot about My 28 inch waist fishing partner Brian! Lol

11. Chalk Saunders

Chalk Saunders New Member

State:
    Arizona
    All my hooks are 10/0 or 12/0, you an never have to much hook for large flats.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    your going to need a bigger boat !:big_smile::big_smile:

13. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I use my throw net whenever I can. My fishing trips are very spontaneous. With my busy schedule I dont have the time to worm & hook them. It can be fun but to time consuming for me. Sport chalet sells a nice one with HEAVY eco friendly weights for 20 bucks. just remember bait nets over a 4ft radius is illegal in az. Good luck out there!

14. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i didnt know that about the throw nets