Hooks...package ready?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by MoCatfisher, Aug 22, 2007.

1. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Do you sharpen your new hooks, or do you think they are "good to go" right outta the package? Now I'm talking good hooks...Gamakatsu or Eagle claw Lazer Sharps...

2. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I always sharpen, have not found a hook yet that I could not get a better point on.

I think the reality is that even if it had a great point at the factory, time will blunt it a little bit.

considering how tough the hide is on some of these cats I prefer to not take a chance.:wink:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use Eagle Claw lazer sharp kahles, and I always touch them up a bit - but then I am a compulsive tackle tinkerer.

I also check the hooks periodically during a trip and touch them up or change rigs if they get dull.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Gamakatsu hooks come right out of the package as sharp as they could possibly be. No need wasting your time trying to "improve" things. Go fishing instead, it's more fun.

5. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i have never sharpened a hook before. how do yall do it? do those electric sharpeners work?

thanks

6. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Nope, my experience with the electrics is that... well to put it bluntly they suck!

much easier to use a hook file (small file with very fine teeth)

2 licks on each side and your ready!