Hooks lost and money spent!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BigCatDreaming, Jun 2, 2006.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Catfish keep swallowing my hooks all the time. I've tried various hooks such as the Mustad 4/0, Eagle Claw treble hooks (for my livers), and the (excuse my spelling) Gamekatsu. I know its probably a "duh" answer but I need some input guys. I'm just hoping RamRod doesnt come in here and get upset:crazy:

2. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I was told when they swollow the hook your not setting the hook soon enough
    but I bought long needle nose pliers

:lol: :lol:

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Trebble hooks are notorious for that. Fish will swallow them before they will most other types of hooks. I use Kahles exclusively for many reasons and that is one of them. I release almost all of the fish I catch and I don't want them bleeding when I do.
    The hook size has alot to do with it too. I use 7/0 to 10/0 Kahles and haven't had that problem with them.

4. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    try using circle hooks, if you havent fished with them before you should read the threads on here about them, you dont want any bait in between the hook and the shank and the fish hooks itself, some guys dont like em cause there is no setting the hook, others like em cause the fish is mouth hooked 99.9999% of the time.

5. Gamakatsu octopus circle in 8/0. No need to set the hook on this one. If you insist on crossing their eyes then try a kahles hook in a similar size. Don't let them run to far just enough to know they got it. Then rear back and rock their world.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Khales are the way to go, only hook I use. I have yet to have a fish swallow a khale.

7. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank you all for your input. I'm off to the store now!