Hooks / Line

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    What do you guys use for line and hooks most often?????
    I use 8# circle hooks and 20lbs iron silk line(Note the iron silk line will be changed to something else soon I just don't no what yet if it gets hot in the sun it becomes very weak).
    What do you guys use?????

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Depends on what I am targetting, but:

Channel cats: 65# Power Pro line with 2/0 kahle or J-hooks

Blues/flats: 65# to 80# Power Pro with 5/0 kahles

The 5/0 kahles will also catch the channels, but I have a slightly better hookup rate with the smaller hooks. The only gain I make is catching more of the "dinks" though.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I catch mostly channels, but I use 20# Cajun line, with 4/0 to 7/0 circle hooks.

4. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    I use the same gear when fishing for catfish, as I do for bass, specks,etc. I use 12# mono. for all. I do change hooks for the Cats. I use #3/0- 5/0 circle hooks, depending on what Wally world has when I go to buy them. I found that your sucess will depend on you and how you handle what ever tackle you use. You can hook up with any hook and line that has the right bait for the fish you are trying to catch, getting the fish in the boat is a test of how much you know about the limitations of the tackle in your hands. Fight the fish within those limits and you will get him in most of the time.

5. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I agree but im not real happy with my line choice right now.

6. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use 30# Trilene Big Game. I got several spools cheap, so until it's gone, that's on my reels. I use mostly circle hooks, 3/0 to 8/0. Catch more 1 pound channels on 3/0 than 8/0. I think I'll be using more 8/0.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    30lb Big Game for me and mainly 6/0 to 8/0 circle hooks.

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    7/0 or 8/0 circle hooks on 30# Big Cat solor collector green line

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Cut Bati, I do like Iron Silk line but use Trilene 30lb on most my reels. When you said Iron Silk is going to change to something else did you mean off your reels only or on the shelf for purchasing? I've had no problem with Iron Silk at all. Just bought some Kahle hooks today so I'm ready to go fishing!

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    25 & 30 # big gameline and kahle hooks from 4/0 thru 8/0 depending on bait size.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    AARON, Their is alot of good line and hook choices. You will have to try different ones until you find what works best for you. That being said I use Eagle Claw Kahles from 5/0 - 10/0 and salt water ande line in the envy green.

12. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Actually I meant both its coming off my reals and after speaking with the dealer rep he said they are working on the U,V inhibitors in that line.
    I am only speaking about the green solar colored Iron Silk for A TEST ANYBODY USING THAT LINE PUT SOME STRAIGHT OFF THE SPOOL OUT SIDE FOR ONE DAY AND WATCH IT CHANGE COLORS TO A VERY LIGHT FADED GREEN it will break very easy after that.
    Thanks for all the input ill be switching back to the old stay by BIG GAME!!!

13. Rogue

Rogue New Member

State:
    US Louisiana
    Use a 20 lb test mono with a 40 lb leader with a Gamakutsu #5 circle

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I fish the ohio river a lot so I use 80 lb power-pro, 50 lb leaders and 10/0 owner circle hooks for flatheads. When I drift fish lakes for channels I use 50 lb mason line with 30 lb leaders and 8/0 gamakatsu circle hooks.