hooks for noodle lines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by roesso, Mar 7, 2008.

1. roesso

roesso New Member

State:
    kentucky
    new to the site i have learned alot and built a alot of stuff that i have seen on this site i love it i built the noodle lines i seen them on here and i wanted to no what would be the best hooks to put on these and bait for this time of the year right now it is snowing hard but by the weekend it might be nice i am going to go fishing

roesso

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have 50 noodles and I use one 7/0 circle hook per noodle. As far as the best bait for right now I would say a large piece of cut shad would work good. My favorite bait is cut mullet but they are hard to get right now. Hope this helps!

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Tyler I like the khale hooks myself with cut bait. I usually use bottle jugs but I made up six with swim noodles today that I hope to try tomorrow.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Tyler.

Wal mart sells a noodle making kit. It contains line swivels and hooks for IIRC 5 noodles. They are pretty cheap.
    The way I look at it someone did a study and decided what size hook was best.
    I'm sure others like something else but there is a place to start.
    the best to ya
    just

5. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Tyler welcome to the boc brother,i made my noodles from swim noodles got about 30 of them,they work good as far as the hooks i use the cat hooks when they get on they dont get off...

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's strictly a matter of choice. Over the long haul, if you asked 3 juggers, you will get three different answers. I'm partial to a 5/0 or a 6/0 J hook myself, although I have occasionally used kahle. Never tried a circle on jugs - primarily because I'm one of the few people who dislike the circle hook.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Tyler! As with most things fishing, there just ain't no best answer. What works best for one person may not work best for another; not to mention that it's often just a matter of personal preference. Size is generally going to depend on what size bait you want to use, what size fish you're after, and what type hook you're using. I have had excellent hookup rates using a kahle hook on my jugs, but I use a J-type Big-Eye Trotline Hook for two reasons: it has a big eye, making it much easier to change out a damaged hook; and it lasts longer...my kahle hooks rusted out after only one season, while my trotline hooks will last for several years. But, there are times when a circle hook will work better for me. When I want to put a jugline down around a bunch of snags, a circle hook will hang up a lot less often than a J-type or kahle. Now, with circle hooks, you need to remember that the space between the point and the shank has to be large enough to easily fit over the side of the jaw of the largest catfish you expect to catch. If it's not large enough, the hook will simply slide right on out of the fish's mouth, and it will swim away. And on any situation, you want your hook to be large enough so that your bait doesn't keep the hook from sticking into the fish. If you're in doubt, experiment! Try each type of hook on 2 or 3 jugs and see how each performs for you. Decide for yourself what best suits you, and the way you fish.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Tyler from Missouri. Like jerry said, i use trotline hooks and they seem to be ok. They are stainless and don't rust.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tyler Welcome to the BOC. I would suggest you PM Gean from Wild Wolf Products, one of the BOC sponsors and ask any questions about hooks and etc for noodle jugs. He will be glad to help you and he carries the Sickle hook in stock.

10. roesso

roesso New Member

State:
    kentucky
    right now i am looking at a foot of snow and dreaming about fishing but thanks for the replies

roesso

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I use kahle and circle hooks. I like circle hooks the best. 4/0 to 7/0 are the sizes I use. Shad and herring is what I use alot along with bream.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't let the snow stop you. Fsh are all ready wet and they still have to eat. LOL