Hooks For Jugging?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TNVOLCAT, Jul 10, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was wondering what type hooks you juggers use on your juglines? My Dad and I have always used circles but have tried kahles a few times. I believe you get a better hookset using circles on the jugs. Any comments or info appreciated!

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use circles on mine.

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circles on mine. Not sure if it's illegal in your state or not, but I know it's illegal to use treble hooks on em here in Ohio.

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 4/0 khale hooks on mine

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I use circles on mine, I've tried khale but seem to get better(more) hook ups on circles.

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I use 8/0 circles but I get a lot of hook ups in the eye on smaller cats, so I'm switching to 5/0 to try and prevent this. I would like to do as little damage as possible when releasing the fish.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I use 7/0 and 9/0 stainless steel circles. IMO just about any good sharp hook will work great but the circles I've have had less "lost fish" Where I live you can leave jugs unattended up to 24 hours and I had a lot of slimed lines where catfish were caught but got off with J hooks. Kahles are nice but the eyelet on most is too small for braided or twisted nylon of any size. I use anywhere from a number 20 to 25 braided line on my jugs and there's not too many Kayles that have a eyelet big enough. I did put some 10/0 Kayles on some jugs this year for those 2 pound baitfish though.:lol:

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Circles were "originally" used for setline type fishing, trots, limbs, and jugs... Concept behind them is so that the fish sets the hooks on them selves... For the safety of the fish i've got circles on all my setline equipment... Its not like you can sit there like with a rod and reel and set the hooks on the fish so its makes more sense to let them set it on themselves esp when 90% of the time it ends up in the corner of their mouths...

9. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I've been using 6/0 Kahle with pretty good sucess. Every once in a while one will get off the hook as we start to pull it out but over all they've done good for me.

10. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    6/0 Kahle hooks on mine.

11. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I use khale hooks on mine most of the time. Have used cirlces but not as confident with them on jugs as I am on rod.

12. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    7/0 mustad kahles always work well

13. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    8/0 octopus for my limb lines. but i think a real sharp hook is the key.